Help, does my 12 week old chick have Coccidiosis, she is weak not eating...

Chicksandme

Songster
8 Years
Aug 27, 2015
Amador County, California
I'm new to the chicken raising and i didn't realize that my chickens runny poop was a sign of Coccidiosis. I have 20 chicks and I noticed a one of my chick was standing away from the flock and acted very weak and lethargy. When I give food or treats she does not run to it. I though maybe she was just being pick on by the bigger chicks and been observing her.

So last couple days I noticed she is really is not eating and just stands around, also one of my silkies seems a little stand offish and not as energetic. Can you please help, do I need to isolate the sick chick and treat her??

You always isolate sick chickens till you know what is afflicting them.

Where are they housed? Do they have outdoor access? Is their bedding bone dry or does it have damp spots?

In birds that age the symptoms are huddling with ruffled feathers, no interest in water and feed, retarded growth, watery, pasty, tan or bloody diarrhea.

Here is my girl that is standing up sleep, i did isolate her so i could feed her a bit of hard boiled egg and yogurt.

You always isolate sick chickens till you know what is afflicting them.

Where are they housed? Do they have outdoor access? Is their bedding bone dry or does it have damp spots?

In birds that age the symptoms are huddling with ruffled feathers, no interest in water and feed, retarded growth, watery, pasty, tan or bloody diarrhea.

Thanks for your your info "chickenCanoe"! My girl is a cream Legbar and i posted a picture. She is much smaller than her sister, i did isolate her and got her to eat some food boiled egg and yogurt. She did eat a little bit of it and drank vitamin and Corid that i mixed up. The Corid is medication for Ccocidiosis si I decided that i would treat the whole flock.

I have a indoor chicken coop 12'x 12' that my husband built for them and he calls it the ckicken mansion, lol! We also have a huge garden area that we took and turned it into a nice run. Part of the run is covered with roofing so they don't have to be cooped up.

So far i have more than one bird that has the watery brownish diarrhea. Also they are losing a bunch of feathers, specially in the last 3-4 days. Im wondering if they have multiple issues?? Any info would be appreciated, im so lost in this chicken raising thing, lol!

I'm not sure if she is going to make it!! My girl seemed like she was doing better and even ate some food and drank some fluid I made for her condition. I even brought her in to the house where I could keep her warm with out the cool air from the rain and wind today. Now she is just sleeping and she is breathing out of her beak and seems very weak.. I just don't know what else to do for her, let! :(

Can you give her a couple of drops of undiluted Corid orally, and then give her some water with a syringe. If you are using powder Corid you can add 2 teaspoons of water to 1 1/2 tsp. of powder Corid, and use a couple of drops of that concentrated mixture twice a day. Keep forcing fluids.

Can you give her a couple of drops of undiluted Corid orally, and then give her some water with a syringe. If you are using powder Corid you can add 2 teaspoons of water to 1 1/2 tsp. of powder Corid, and use a couple of drops of that concentrated mixture twice a day. Keep forcing fluids.

Thank you but I think it is too late. I had her in my bathroom with a heat source to keep her warm and out of the cold. She seemed to be doing better then I went to check on her and she was laying by the water bowl and was laying in a small puddle of water and it was cold on the floor tile. I'm very sad, I try to warm her up and held her but she is not moving at all, I got her wrapped in a towel in the small doggie creat and hoping for a miracle!

What state are you in?
It may be best to send her to your poultry lab for euthanasia and necropsy so you know what you are dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom