1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newchics, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Newchics

Newchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Adkins, Texas
    Thank you very much. I appreciate the PM offer and may just take you up on it [​IMG] I guess it's crossing fingers and keeping her inside to see how it goes. Tonight is the hard one since it hasn't even been 12 hours since she got hurt. [​IMG] I hope she heels fast. I feel totally responsible and like a monster [​IMG]

2. Newchics

Sep 15, 2014
    Adkins, Texas
    This is probably going to be a dumb question to all but I'm wondering what the front breast area should feel like on my chicken. I thought it should feel like a smooth even shape for the breast. I was checking on this hurt baby and her breast area feels like big ball in front. Can she just have odd shaped breast, am I over reacting, or could it be something worse

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  3. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    UK
    It might be her crop. The crop can be quite prominent on birds that are younger or more lightly built, and a full crop should be easy to feel. Does it feel like a mixture of water plus whatever she's been eating?

4. SkyeAus

SkyeAus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    GERALDTON, WA
    How is she going Newcicks??

1 person likes this.
  5. Newchics

Sep 15, 2014
    Adkins, Texas
    Thank you for asking. She's looking ok. Just worry about the breast area appears to be no injury on the outside but her beast area feels funny compared to my other girls. Feels like a big ball, not a hard one. Feels like a Baloon that's been filled to the max. It's much smaller today. Isn't that something that has to do with their food/water consumption? Crop? I'm feeding her crumbles so it's not to hard for her to eat. I'll put pellets in later today

Thank you all my chicken friends. Wish we were closer to give you all hugs

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  6. Newchics

Sep 15, 2014
    Adkins, Texas
    She must be feeling better. She laid an egg in the bathtub. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  7. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    I do hope she is feeling better. [​IMG] However, the egg was probably already in the works before she got injured. Do not be surprised if she takes a few weeks or even months to start laying regularly again. Her body is going to give priority to healing right now. The more you can help her with supportive care, the faster she will get back to laying normally. Make sure she gets extra protein, vitamins and probiotics for at least a few weeks.

8. Newchics

Sep 15, 2014
    Adkins, Texas
    I'm headed to grocery store now I'm going to look for something green. Any suggestions as to what would be good to get her?

9. KYTinpusher

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
  10. KYTinpusher

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by