Help, don't have an incubator and I'm trying to keep a newborn chick alive

Eden83_haaretz

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
Mexico, Puebla
One of my chickens came out of her nest with her new born chicks, when I went to take away the eggs that didn't hatch I found one that had sort of opened the egg shell, so I helped him. I don't have an incubator, and I put him in a toaster oven with warm settings trying to keep a 99.5 degree temp and I placed a container with water. Could this be enough to help him?? Do I have to clean him and take away all the egg shell (there's some underneath) he's breathing and moving a bit. What do I do? What do I have to look for to know it's healthy?? Help, never done this before. Read that the first one or two days they eat of the egg yolk sack, but then after what do I fees him? I'm not pro synthetic feed, my chickens eat grains and forage, what do I feed him after??? This makes me nervous.... Help!

Sorry about the weak chick. Some like to rescue weak chicks, other times if it had difficulty coming out the shell unassisted it could be weak for the rest of it life but if you don't care about this or the fact it might still not make it even if you assist then try to save it.
If the toaster can maintain an even temp then it should be fine. Don't go over 97F though.
It will be even more hard as you don't have the right chick starter feed for it.
Chick starter is formulated to have all the minerals, vitamins and nutrients it will need to grow well. Chicks are very susceptible to developing deficiencies if they aren't eating a balanced diet and this will show with illness, deformities or even death.
I wouldn't know where to begin making your own from scratch. One important thing to note is that chicks can't eat very large things. I tried mine on some corn today but it is still too big for them at 2 weeks old so everything needs to be ground down

After being inside for 24 to 48 hours depending on how strong you could try to put it back under the mom. That way it will not be alone. Yes you can wait to let the mom guide it to food. If you need to feed it you could try a bit of oatmeal if you have that. Then add some scrambled eggs.

After being inside for 24 to 48 hours depending on how strong you could try to put it back under the mom. That way it will not be alone. Yes you can wait to let the mom guide it to food. If you need to feed it you could try a bit of oatmeal if you have that. Then add some scrambled eggs.
Thanks I did think about returning it to its mother. It's moving everyonce in a while and even tried standing up several times. I imagine it rests after trying to move...?
And well more bad news the other rooster (not the dad) that we usually keep separated got close to one of the healthy chick (they were with their mom) and hit the chick badly, who knows if it will survive :(....

Thanks I did think about returning it to its mother. It's moving everyonce in a while and even tried standing up several times. I imagine it rests after trying to move...?
And well more bad news the other rooster (not the dad) that we usually keep separated got close to one of the healthy chick (they were with their mom) and hit the chick badly, who knows if it will survive :(....
Personally I would cull that rooster. A nice coq au vin would do him well. To many roosters to be had to keep one that is aggressive towards chicks.

How soon should I give it water?

Personally I would cull that rooster. A nice coq au vin would do him well. To many roosters to be had to keep one that is aggressive towards chicks.
It's actually not the first chick it killed... But he is friendly with us and lets up pick him up and follows us like a puppy (that's why we'd given him the benefit of the doubt). He was bullied when little and his father always chases him away (he stopped singing because of that issue, he's constantly rejected by his father). Guess it might be the breed?? The chickens also tend to pick and peck each other (sometimes they even draw blood).

It's actually not the first chick it killed... But he is friendly with us and lets up pick him up and follows us like a puppy (that's why we'd given him the benefit of the doubt). He was bullied when little and his father always chases him away (he stopped singing because of that issue, he's constantly rejected by his father). Guess it might be the breed?? The chickens also tend to pick and peck each other (sometimes they even draw blood).
Knowing it’s not the first time it’s definitely time for him to go now. Here ill lend you my axe.

Back
Top Bottom