Help Draining Water Belly

Wendy Bee

Songster
May 5, 2021
Central New York
1689649196149.png

A couple of days ago, I noticed bright pink low on the bottom of one of our Buff Orpingtons was waddling across the yard. She had a good poop, the pink seemed to disappear, and she went on her way. Last night I checked her as she perched, and cupped my hand under her. She's quite swollen (feels like a soft ball sized water balloon). I felt around her vent, and I don't suspect that she's egg bound at all. She eats and drinks happily and shows no signs of distress - yet.

I read several posts here at BYC and watched several videos on YouTube on how to drain Water Belly. I went to Tractor Supply and bought 16g short needles and a couple of 60ml syringes, gathered a towel and some alcohol swabs and felt confident in doing this. I knew needle placement (2-3 fingers below the vent and lower right quadrant of the bulge to avoid organs), and proceeded.

First stick, I got a little blood. Operator error. I didn't commit. Bleeding stopped within a minute or two. Second stick was good. Drew back slowly on the syringe, and NOTHING. Just air. There was some clear liquid at the injection site once I pulled out the needle, so I went for a third stick. Pulled back on the syringe - air :confused:. At this point the hen was pretty annoyed with me, as was the 13 yo daughter holding said hen.

I'm planning to give it another go tomorrow. Any guidance, tips and/or tricks are appreciated!

Hen is doing fine for now, but I know we need to deal with this.

Thanks in advance!

You said you don’t think she’s egg bound. Has she been laying eggs? I had to cull a chicken recently that had a stretched water balloon feeling belly that was warm to the touch. I had tried draining her before and had different floors (sometimes nothing came out). In her case (which I doubt it’s the same for yours) she was full of ovarian cysts. Her behavior drastically changed.

I’d keep an eye on yours and if you feel the need isolate to observe.

Back
Top Bottom