Help!!!Dropping Eye Socket!!

Kenzie888

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2020
Good Day!
I have a 3 week chick here, molly is her name, and yesterday morning I let her, her mama, Aunti and 4 other siblings of the same age out of the coop to find her eye socket dropping!! She was kinda sleepy and didn’t want to come out of the coop. I loveingly rushed her inside to a box with food and water and she started to gasp for air and wheezing almost like she couldn’t breath! That has since stoped but she’s shaking ing her head and scratching her eye. I’ve given her electrolytes and at this moment vaporizing some VetRx in her( we think it’s a her) little bin. I will say, Her Aunt has been seen chaseing the like ones around in a pecking order fashion. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! I would love to have her well and back with her family!!!
15313E3A-DA36-42C4-8FF2-D6BD0A434FED.jpeg
15313E3A-DA36-42C4-8FF2-D6BD0A434FED.jpeg

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum/Chronic Respiratory Disease (MG, CRD) can cause inflammation of the 2nd eyelid as well as bubbling of the eye. MG is a life long disease and is incurable. Antibiotics can help with the symptoms, but your bird will never be cured and asymptomatic until the next time it gets stressed. Birds that “recover” remain lifetime carriers, spreading the bacteria to healthy or new chickens you get or have. The MG bacteria can also spread virtually into the embryo of the egg, making newly hatched chickens sick, have stunted growth and lifetime carriers of this diseases as well. I don’t recommend you breeding from any of your infected birds. Not all symptoms of MG will show. Bubbly and inflammation of the eye is normally the first symptoms of MG/CRD. I suggest you keep a closed flock until all your birds die on their own, which means, no bringing in any outside birds into your flock and no giving away/selling birds or eggs for hatching. You can get your birds tested by calling you state vet if you’re in the USA.

Can you tell us a little about your chicks and where they came from? I suppose that a peck wound to the eye might be a possibility, but conjunctivitis may be the cause. That is common in respiratory diseases, such as MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum. There are bubbles in the eye and the tissue is infamed and red. I would get some Terramycin eye ointment from your feed store and apply a small dab to the eye twice a day. If that cannot be found locally, you may use plain Neosporin ointment as well. Are there any other symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom