Help! Duck egg pip at day 25

Duckmania

In the Brooder
May 23, 2024
I found abandoned duck eggs. The local dogs scared off mama for good. Looks like only 1 is going to hatch.

We have been incubating today is what I thought was day 25. I went to get ready for lockdown tomorrow and heard the egg peeping. I removed the egg to put down mat in the incubator and remove egg turner and when I picked up the egg I noticed a raised pip bump!!!!

i immediately put it back inside and raised humidity but I'm not hearing any peeps anymore ( it's been about 20 minutes) but I'm not sure which way the egg was laying.

Is there a way I should position the egg ? I don't want to disorient it! Oh man this is extremely stressful. I don't know how people do this!

1000043874.jpg

Said pip in above photo. It still is rocking around but I am not hearing peeping noises and I am so worried I have disoriented it!

What should I do?

I don’t think you need to worry. They don’t peep all the time so if it’s quiet that’s ok. You can tap on the incubator and talk to the duckling and it might peep back at you. I took out the turner when a couple of my duck eggs had already pipped and I was kind of freaked out but they were fine.

Is the pip facing up or on the side?

Ducklings are notoriously slow hatching. It isn’t unheard of to see the pip and then the duckling hatch 48hours later. Sometimes they even get the egg 3/4 of the way open and then nap for HOURS before pushing themselves out.

I’ve hatched ducks, chicks & quail, and ducklings are by far the worst to wait on.

I’d leave the egg how you put it in the incubator and just make sure your humidity and temp remain stable and within range for what you need.

Here is a photo of the pip. I took it out not noticing it's laying position, and was just setting it over the light to candle it when i noticed the pip!

I may have flipped it 50 -90 degrees on its side instead when I put it back in. I have left it at this angle.

I am worried that I have disoriented the baby or do you think he will have time to readjust himself?

I'd like to confirm the temp stay (consistent since first day at) 37.5 c and I've bumped humidity to 65 from 50-55%. Any input appreciated!

This is insanely stressful! This whole trying to hatch abandoned eggs has been the most amazing and insane-science-experiement-roller-coaster-ride I've ever been on.
1000043876.jpg

Here is a photo of the pip. I took it out not noticing it's laying position, and was just setting it over the light to candle it when i noticed the pip!

I may have flipped it 50 -90 degrees on its side instead when I put it back in. I have left it at this angle.

I am worried that I have disoriented the baby or do you think he will have time to readjust himself?

I'd like to confirm the temp stay (consistent since first day at) 37.5 c and I've bumped humidity to 65 from 50-55%. Any input appreciated!

This is insanely stressful! This whole trying to hatch abandoned eggs has been the most amazing and insane-science-experiement-roller-coaster-ride I've ever been on. View attachment 3842037
I think it’s fine. Your temp and humidity are what I did for hatching and it worked for me.

Now you just have to wait! It’s so stressful but it could be another 48 hours or so before it progresses further!

Ducklings are notoriously slow hatching. It isn’t unheard of to see the pip and then the duckling hatch 48hours later. Sometimes they even get the egg 3/4 of the way open and then nap for HOURS before pushing themselves out.

I’ve hatched ducks, chicks & quail, and ducklings are by far the worst to wait on.

I’d leave the egg how you put it in the incubator and just make sure your humidity and temp remain stable and within range for what you need.
I moved the egg from its original pip position. Thats what i am worried about! Do you think it will be disoriented or is this a time will tell situation. 🤔 TIA!

I moved the egg from its original pip position. Thats what i am worried about! Do you think it will be disoriented or is this a time will tell situation. 🤔 TIA!
During hatching, eggs get rolled all over the place by their hatched siblings. It’s normal. So I don’t think it’s a problem.

Back
Top Bottom