Help! Duck egg pipped internally 3 days ago but no external pip yet!

I don't think there's really much else you can do. You have helped them as far along as you can. I wouldn't spray them with a bottle, I'd qtip them with warm water. And I'd only do it once every 3 or 4 hours. This is #1 and 2 in the pic right?

I can only tell you what I would do. And I think you've done an awesome job. Sometimes it just doesn't work the way we want!

I agree, you are doing fantastic! I am with QJ. Do not mist them! If you see membrane going from clear to opaque, then use warm wet tip to moisten. However, it does not look like 1 and 2 need anything other than time. It can take up to 24 hours to absorb.

That's kind of what I figured...
I'm not exactly sure how to go at them with a q-tip thou since they're not completely out and the yolk is what mostly needs the moisture at this point and I'm a little afraid to poke at the yolk too much since they still have pretty big openings from their bodies into the yolks...

Should I let the yolk dry up just a bit? Will that help it absorb faster? There's really not much left for either. (about the same nickel/gumball size as before, little less) Not compared to how much my first troubled quitter had anyway. (I didn't open all of the eggs that didn't make it. I was exhausted, pressed for time and after the stress of opening these 8 and the accusing eyes of my "beakless" baby, I wasn't too excited to crack open these others, so I eventually gave them a proper burial next to our duck pen (making sure none of our ducks saw). *sigh* So. Sad.
hit.gif
)

My main source of heat for them is a heat lamp, which I why I've been misting. Helps keep the hot spots away; the hot light just drys everything so quickly. I have been very careful with the mistings thou, aiming them only at the yolk and bottoms that are still in the shells a bit and I'm, of course, making sure no air holes are blocked or anything. And they're staying up to temp. I'll switch to q-tips thou. Would a dropper work alright too, for those hard to reach spots? (inside what's left of the shell)

Well, most encouraging, is that they're still moving around quite a lot; beaks opening, yawning and loud cheeping, wings flapping, legs kicking, etc. so for now, I guess I'll just wait and see...
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Thanks again, everyone. I'd be so lost without you!

Sorry this took so long, Iain Utah. Apparently I am in terrible need of a period of deep rest myself! (39 hours and counting! wooo! lol) Here's a couple pics. Thanks for your help!
smile.png

So #1 has kicked free of its shell. Nothing seemed to be attached and nothing was bleeding/leaking so I moved it out of the way. 2 is mostly out of its shell but I'm trying to keep it in there as long as possible, since the yolk is less absorbed than 1. I figure it'll break free when the time is right. Also the small flap of membrane that's peeled down I've been keeping tucked around the yolk to help keep it moist. Just pulled it back for the picture. And the picture makes it look a lot wetter than it is in that egg shell. The membrane is thin and clear and the shell is almost empty. And I switched to q-tips and warm water and stopped misting.

Still lots of movement so that oughta be a good sign at least!
fl.gif

#1 decided to wiggle a bit for me so I was able to get a better picture.
big_smile.png

...The whitish stuff near its bottom; that's prob just some normal egg waste, right? Hopefully not some terrible, terrible bacteria or something? o.0

Yes!! #1 looks like it will be fine in another 12-24 hours! Try to not let #2 out of shell yet. Do you have a soap dish or small tupperware you can place it in so it cannot accidentally kick free prematurely? With time, if it does not tear anything, #2 should make it too.

Excellent job!

You know at this point I wouldn't worry so much about keeping them moist. They need rest and time. It's pretty much out of your hands now.

Keep us posted!

Sorry this took so long, Iain Utah. Apparently I am in terrible need of a period of deep rest myself! (39 hours and counting! wooo! lol) Here's a couple pics. Thanks for your help!
smile.png

So #1 has kicked free of its shell. Nothing seemed to be attached and nothing was bleeding/leaking so I moved it out of the way. 2 is mostly out of its shell but I'm trying to keep it in there as long as possible, since the yolk is less absorbed than 1. I figure it'll break free when the time is right. Also the small flap of membrane that's peeled down I've been keeping tucked around the yolk to help keep it moist. Just pulled it back for the picture. And the picture makes it look a lot wetter than it is in that egg shell. The membrane is thin and clear and the shell is almost empty. And I switched to q-tips and warm water and stopped misting.

Still lots of movement so that oughta be a good sign at least!
fl.gif

#1 decided to wiggle a bit for me so I was able to get a better picture.
big_smile.png

...The whitish stuff near its bottom; that's prob just some normal egg waste, right? Hopefully not some terrible, terrible bacteria or something? o.0
I am amazed, yes I'll say it again amazed at what you have done. Thank goodness for all your care you have had 2 make it and they look so good. I hope you have been able to get some much needed rest and by now you can see a big difference in your little ones. looking forward to an update..

Thank you so much for your sharing all this, patiently keeping us updated during this real trial. I have learned some important lessons. Thanks to those who have offered their "technical assistance," too!

Back
Top Bottom