HELP Duck fell in heated water bucket & won't walk

1ml over treats or through syringe
Not to be put in the water bucket as they won’t get the proper dose
I would also add nutritional yeast to the feed on a regular basis because of her issues at the start
They will release any niacin the body doesn’t need.
Is she using her legs in the water ?
I haven’t heard of ducks getting scratch before. I’m sure that’s a chicken thing
Also giving them to many treats isn’t a good thing
It should only be 10 % of the diet
Also providing grit is really important to help digest any feed that isn’t the duck pellets
Is she laying eggs ? This would be something I would check as maybe she was struggling to lay an egg and jumped in the bucket
Sometimes if they are struggling they will jump in the pools and lay the egg
Do you provide crushed oyster shells for the girls ?
I will add grit to her diet. Both of my girls are not currently laying eggs. What do the crushed oyster shells do?? I haven't done that either

:goodpost:
she is adorable. If you have an xlarge dog crate that would work. Do you know how long she may have been stuck in the bucket? When she is in the water will she move her legs? try and stand up?
I do have an XL dog crate. She could have been in the bucket of water anywhere from 12-24 hours. I check on them daily. I thought I could see her from the house in the coop in the morning, but it could have been her sister. She can stand now, but is very wobbly. She tried to run away from me but her left leg would just drag... I don't see any injury to her leg. There is a small scrape on her left toe. I haven't tried to put her back in water today yet.

I will add grit to her diet. Both of my girls are not currently laying eggs. What do the crushed oyster shells do?? I haven't done that either
Laying hens (or hens at laying age) need crushed oyster shells and grit available to eat at. They'll take as much as they need for calcium (to produce strong egg shells) The grit helps them to digest food.

When they are laying, you could also feed the egg shells back to them

@Krosnick how is your duck doing today?
She is doing ok.. Still isn't walking on her own yet. It was raining here today and I brought her out in a puddle so she could splash. I am going to try to give her a semi warm bath tonight to maybe help her joints. She will stand longer than yesterday! She is very happy I brought her sister inside with her.

Sounds like she is improving so just hang in there with her and hopefully improvement will continue.

The heated buckets I have I put a piece of wood over half so they can't climb inside. I've caught a few using them as their private hot tubs.
IMG_0873.jpeg

@Krosnick how your duck doing today?
My lady is doing SO MUCH BETTER!! She has moved back outside with her sister that also has a gimp leg. I have two gimpy girls now. She is still learning on how to get herself around. I am debating on getting a small duck house to put closer to my pond so they won't have to walk so far. I am so so happy she survived!

Sounds like she is improving so just hang in there with her and hopefully improvement will continue.

The heated buckets I have I put a piece of wood over half so they can't climb inside. I've caught a few using them as their private hot tubs.View attachment 3400584
That is such a great idea!! I have been researching all different ways on how to give them a heated water bucket back.. I literally bring them water out and stay there while they bathe and drink. Then I will take the bucket away! I am too afraid she will get stuck again.

What ever you provide for them closer to the oond is going to have to be by like Fort Knox. All manner of predators will coming by your pond at night and possibly during the day too. I am so happy for you that she is improving hopefully very soon she’ll be 100%. What’s going on with your other one?

Back
Top Bottom