HELP DUCK IN SHOCK I THINK

Now he is walking around but it's aimless. He won't lay his head down to go to sleep and I can tell he is fighting it. What should I do? I tell ya if it's not one thing it's another.
I was feeding him the pedia light and then he just got up and walked off.

Sounds like shock to me, how long since the attack? You may have to just let him work through all of this. he's holding his head up now? if so that's a good sign. can you wrap him gently in a towel and just hold him and talk quietly to him and see if that helps? And try to keep calm because if your stressed out he will pick up on it. [not that it's that easy to remain calm when your pet is having trouble.]

panting can mean stress or pain or too warm.

Yes I agree with Miss Lydia maybe a rest for you and for him? The longer you are awake and stressed the more sour your scent becomes and our babies take great strength from the smell of their 'flock leader' Im an not telling lies I swear. Its very important that you breathe evenly in long relaxed breaths while around him and smell the way you usually do. If you are tired and stressed you begin to smell sour and that will stress him too.

It sounds like he has been improving and that is great. If he has a muscular neck injury it could take a long time but it will heal. Im worried about concussion, you mentioned he seemed to be fighting sleep? If he does have one there is absolutely nothing anyone can do, he simply will have to sleep at some point and all you can do is make sure it is warm, dark and quiet and he can either beat it or he cant. Its very sad but its how it is.

I once over mothered one of mine who was sick my dear Piper...Many here on this thread will remember, they helped me too. A few days later (after I lost her) my drake got sick and I was much more restrained with him and he pulled through. Birds dont have our stamina, sometimes they need more time alone to heal.

Ive been hoping and hoping for you all day good luck Pablo.

caf.gif

Im so sorry about your ducks and I hope he makes it. I had something similar happen to one of my Chickens. She somehow got out of the coop and was attacked by my dog. Luckily, my didn't know what to do with her and we got to her before he could hurt her. She was terrified. She couldn't move, her eyes were forced closed, and her beak was ajar. I believe this is similar to whats going on with your Duck. What we did was bring her inside, put her in a small enclosed area with easy access to food and water. She slept inside for the next two nights and by mid day on the third day, she was fine. I recommend doing the same. Bring him inside, give him access to food and water, and keep your eye on him. Since these two instances seem very similar, it should work. I hope for the best for Pablo and he makes it through.

I'm sorry to inform everyone that Pablo passed away shortly after her last post.
hit.gif
She may not ever get back on here now that he's gone, so I thought I should let everyone know. Rest In Peace, sweet Pablo.

Back
Top Bottom