Help Duck Pro's Need Advice What to Do with Hurt Duck with Male protecting Help not Help?

leanback

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 5, 2012
Indiana, USA
Hi everyone,

I live across the street from a city lake, when walking earlier I found a hurt Pekin duck and her Hubby?

Pekin looks like broken leg? Is staying under a tree Male right by her side.

She did eat when I feed a few worms. It is so hard to ignore and not want to try to help.

We have a great big cage with water access, yet I would dread trying to help her and not taking mate with her.

She may just need rest to heal, but I am not duck pro or raise them.

Asking all of you Pros Advice?

Thank you a bunch.... I know I will worry about that duck / mate ...

Hi everyone,

I live across the street from a city lake, when walking earlier I found a hurt Pekin duck and her Hubby?

Pekin looks like broken leg? Is staying under a tree Male right by her side.

She did eat when I feed a few worms. It is so hard to ignore and not want to try to help.

We have a great big cage with water access, yet I would dread trying to help her and not taking mate with her.

She may just need rest to heal, but I am not duck pro or raise them.

Asking all of you Pros Advice?

Thank you a bunch.... I know I will worry about that duck / mate ...
If it is dumped then by all means help it if you can, if wild leave it alone. Take mate along with it too. Rest with miminal walking till healed good quality feed like all flock which all birds can eat not just chickens, and some kind of Poultry vitamins. also you may be able to find someone locally who does rescue work that would take her in. Try an contact someone in charge of this property to ask permission first. And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I don't have much advice to give, but this is what popped into my head right away.

1. Call your local humane society to find out if there is a waterfowl rescue nearby.
2. It may be illegal to take these ducks, despite your good intentions.
3. Call a local vet to find out the cost involved in trying to help the duck, then determine if you are willing to pay that amount for a duck that may or may not survive.
4. If you do decide to try to help her, take him, too, and keep them together. You may need to cut the cage in half with chicken wire, so she can heal without being jostled by him, but they can both see and talk to each other.

Thank You Miss Lydia, and Tahai,

I know the duck was not dumped hurt it grew up in the lake. Middle of town use to people and fed by others, I know a no no.

Reference to laws on record researching it is illegal to move duck from area. Add a dept train humane society to have duck dept.
ticket fine oh well.
Humane society cats dogs yes, ducks no such thing in our area. I wish.

I tried that one last year when a duck was hit by a car with broken leg, I called DNR to ask what I could or should do.
......>>>>>>>>>>>shoot it.......are you kidding me .... true story. DNR
No way I would have let that happen, while it was here.

Later that day the hurt duck (male) was in front of my house by our little rock pond thing in the corner.
several ducks were trying to attack it. I ran them off.

A few hours later there were 10-12 ducks appx. 100-200ft or more in back ground just watching..... It was spooky..

It wasn't an hour later while tryiing to resolve on phone, that hurt duck was no where to be found just gone........ spooky..
I had no idea ducks could be so mean or so territorial.

Even babies around recently one day Mommy with 10- next day all Gone... I understand a few may not make it but
every one of them gone in a day or two is too weird.

Hubby can't wait to get me away from ducks
I can't help it. I care.

Thank you all so much for answering my post.
Now for me to Ask my hubby to help me rescue a Duck and her mate..........lol
thumbsup.gif
may not so easy.

I will post back to let you know... and thank you again.

HEY are any of you close to Indiana by any chance...... I'm kidding..

Thank You
Kimberly

Thank You Miss Lydia, and Tahai,

I know the duck was not dumped hurt it grew up in the lake. Middle of town use to people and fed by others, I know a no no.

Reference to laws on record researching it is illegal to move duck from area. Add a dept train humane society to have duck dept.
ticket fine oh well.
Humane society cats dogs yes, ducks no such thing in our area. I wish.

I tried that one last year when a duck was hit by a car with broken leg, I called DNR to ask what I could or should do.
......>>>>>>>>>>>shoot it.......are you kidding me .... true story. DNR
No way I would have let that happen, while it was here.

Later that day the hurt duck (male) was in front of my house by our little rock pond thing in the corner.
several ducks were trying to attack it. I ran them off.

A few hours later there were 10-12 ducks appx. 100-200ft or more in back ground just watching..... It was spooky..

It wasn't an hour later while tryiing to resolve on phone, that hurt duck was no where to be found just gone........ spooky..
I had no idea ducks could be so mean or so territorial.

Even babies around recently one day Mommy with 10- next day all Gone... I understand a few may not make it but
every one of them gone in a day or two is too weird.

Hubby can't wait to get me away from ducks
I can't help it. I care.

Thank you all so much for answering my post.
Now for me to Ask my hubby to help me rescue a Duck and her mate..........lol
thumbsup.gif
may not so easy.

I will post back to let you know... and thank you again.

HEY are any of you close to Indiana by any chance...... I'm kidding..

Thank You
Kimberly
I wish i was I'd help you in a minute. Food is a great motivator and usually a pretty easy way to get them close enough to catch and if she is hurt maybe even easier. She needs help and most likely you get her he'll come along. Such a shame there isn't help for these ducks, and most likely cats dogs and other preds get the ducklings after all mamas don't have much in the way of protecting their young even from humans. Thank you for caring and wanting to help. Maybe you could use a blanket or a long fishing net to catch them. also if you can get friends to help by circling around very slowly you maybe able to catch them. I wish you the best in your efforts and thanks for letting us know what happens.

Hi Miss Lydia,
It has been almost two weeks, no I didn't catch them I visit and watch them daily.
Her leg is still hurt or broke but is getting around the male still right by her side.
I will have to get photo, they are both so beautiful.

I want to help, but catching just don't seem ok. I don't know if her leg will heel or not?

Hi Miss Lydia,
It has been almost two weeks, no I didn't catch them I visit and watch them daily.
Her leg is still hurt or broke but is getting around the male still right by her side.
I will have to get photo, they are both so beautiful.

I want to help, but catching just don't seem ok. I don't know if her leg will heel or not?
I'm sorry, I wish you could get them and take them home, but at least your able to visit and watch over them. If you did want to try and win them over bring them something yummy to eat every time you visit and they will probably be eating out of your hands before long. you can go to any feed store or TSC and by dried meal worms, my ducks would probably do a jig for some. Is she walking on it at all? if so maybe it's not broken too bad. Only problemm is people who are cruel and preds getting them easier.

Back
Top Bottom