Help!! Duck walking on TOP of foot

PeskyRaven

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2015
California
I need some help :( I just noticed my two month old Cayuga ducks foot is flopped all the way under her where she is standing and walking around on the top of the foot. She's active and eating and will lay down if the other three are staying around her. I am feeding niacin. I do not know when this injury started unfortunately. Foot looks normal otherwise and I can bend it easily. If this is an injury, are there any products or boots I can get to help stabilize it while it heals?

Vet wrap might help. I would cut out a piece of cardboard the size of her foot and wrap the bottom of her leg and foot with the vet wrap,. You might even try like a top to a cool whip bowl and cut it out and make sure the edges aren't sharp. You need something to stabalize her foot in the right position. Good luck.

Does she ever flip it back over the right way herself, maybe for a few steps here or there? pattyhen is right, she needs a boot to keep her foot in the correct position. She'll need to keep in on at least a few days, probably longer, to correct the issue. I had the same problem with one of my female Cayuga's last year. She's always had issues with that leg since she hatched. Here is the best pic I have of her with the boot on last winter (she is stretching here so you can see the bottom), so you can see how it should basically look. The thin piece of plastic should be cut to fit the bottom of her foot, it's also good to cut a little piece of soft towel or something to pad between the foot and the plastic so it doesn't cause a bumble or sore to form, then vet wrap or use some sort of medical tape to keep it attached to the foot.

Whoa thank you! No I wasn't getting notifications. Thanks so much. Yes she does flip it back on her own. She is now walking on it properly but limps and has fallen while she was running. The leg is very hot as well. Taking her to the vet tomorrow and will ask them about making a boot if needed and showing them that awesome example. Thank you for letting me know I had replies. In the past it alerted me but this time nothing!

Sometimes when I create a thread it doesn't notify me till I go back and subscribe to my own thread. Or at least, that's how I recall it.

Glad you'll be going to the vet - please give us the scoop when you get back, at your convenience.

@PeskyRaven

Where's our vet update? ;)

@PeskyRaven

I don't think it's working to tag you. Did I do it wrong?

Last edited:
It's crazy! The vet canceled us! But it's not like it sounds. They called wanting more info. So two days later on the day of the vet appointment they call for an update to remind me of the appointment and then see the status. I told them she's walking totally normal, the leg isn't hot, she will kick and push with the foot and leg and run around. The vet said it appeared to be an odd sprain or something but to cancel for now and bring her in if it gets worse. They said it looked like a temporary pull of a muscle since it healed so quickly. She is perfectly fine now, but I watch her every dang day and pick her up and monitor her. It's crazy. I could have sworn the foot was non operational on Sunday!

Back
Top Bottom