HELP, duckling ate an earring

amanda_rimo

Songster
Jun 21, 2023
Really hoping someone can help us. A friend of our’s was holding one of our ducklings (about 5 weeks old) she was sitting so calm on her legs and as fast as you can blink stole her stud earring right out of the hole and swallowed it. It happened so fast there was no stopping her. She reacted immediately and tried to stop but she was too quick. Does anyone has any suggestion… I’m assuming this never happened to anyone else. She seems to be acting fine, but not sure if there is a way to make it come out faster or just to keep an eye on her and see if it comes out the other end? Thank you in advance.

Birds are built to swallow some pretty weird stuff without harm.
I've dug some really really weird things out of chicken craws during butchering like a drill bit, screws, thumbtacks, random metal whatzit's and also seen ducks eat some things I figured should kill them and they didn't even blink, so I'd say she'll be fine as long as the earring wasn't made of something that dissolves in stomach acid into something harmful. (a few gemstones aren't safe to swallow)
Um, getting it to pass through faster. A duck with a diarrhea from a laxative🤢. Yeah, No... Just be patient, let nature take it's course and keep an eye on her output...

Yup, sounds like you’re in for a treat, checking duck poo for a couple days if you really need to find the earring.

If you don’t, watch the bird for a couple weeks for signs of adverse health effects.
It’s not a special earring, just some cheap earring I got from the beauty supply store. Nothing important, just wanted to make sure that Mango would be okay or if there is anything we can do. I really appreciate the advice. That little girl too it so fast out of my ear, there was no way to stop her. She was sitting so nice , I should have known she was up to trouble

Really hoping someone can help us. A friend of our’s was holding one of our ducklings (about 5 weeks old) she was sitting so calm on her legs and as fast as you can blink stole her stud earring right out of the hole and swallowed it. It happened so fast there was no stopping her. She reacted immediately and tried to stop but she was too quick. Does anyone has any suggestion… I’m assuming this never happened to anyone else. She seems to be acting fine, but not sure if there is a way to make it come out faster or just to keep an eye on her and see if it comes out the other end? Thank you in advance.
Duck transit time is pretty quick. It will be out by tomorrow morning

Back
Top Bottom