HELP! Duckling leg and feet problem!

Sonnykyriacou

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
Hello
I’m a new duckling owner and need to urgent advice on what I can do to help my little duckling, i have tried to straighten its leg and tried to put the tendon back the best way I can but no joy but the duckling cheeping loud (possibly causing some pain)
Also it’s other foot is curled up and I’ve also tried to straighten out but only gets halfway before the duckling starts screeching, can someone advise on what I can do, does anyone has a video of the tendon being straightened or foot being uncurled, the duckling is about 12 hours old and is full of life, I had to put it in the brooder with its siblings as it was going crazy wanting to be with them

Attachments

• IMG_3876.jpeg
    IMG_3876.jpeg
    540.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3875.jpeg
    IMG_3875.jpeg
    604.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3874.jpeg
    IMG_3874.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 6
I’m sorry you new duckling is having trouble. If you can’t get the tendon back in I suggest a vet. The quicker the tendon gets back in the better the outcome, for the foot you can make a shoe out of a plastic container cut to shape of the duckling foot wrap in vet wrap then lay the foot onto the shoe just like it should lay. Then take vet wrap and attaché to the shoe and foot being careful not to cut off circulation. Go up around the ankle so it’s harder for the duckling to get it off.

I’m sorry you new duckling is having trouble. If you can’t get the tendon back in I suggest a vet. The quicker the tendon gets back in the better the outcome, for the foot you can make a shoe out of a plastic container cut to shape of the duckling foot wrap in vet wrap then lay the foot onto the shoe just like it should lay. Then take vet wrap and attaché to the shoe and foot being careful not to cut off circulation. Go up around the ankle so it’s harder for the duckling to get it off.
I have managed to make paddle for his foot it’s just his leg now, I’ll ring the vets in the morning and see what they can suggest, although he is managing the move his little foot (bad leg side)

I am going through the same thing there’s a surgery but I can’t find a vet that will do it they told me I can put her down but I won’t she’s heathy and 6 days. Old I just cant

I am going through the same thing there’s a surgery but I can’t find a vet that will do it they told me I can put her down but I won’t she’s heathy and 6 days. Old I just cant
Try vitamin therapy and a brace, if it's not a deformity, it might heal.
If it is a deformity, it can grow painful as the duck grows and exterior deformity is sometimes a hint to internal deformity.
Find someone to put it down for you if it comes to that.

Do you know how to make the brace and she came out of the egg like that? I believe it was because low humidity she was stuck. I noticed it when I was candling before she hatched that she wasn’t moving much and I think it caused her tenant to be out of place, I have the vitamin complex but the issue is is getting her to drink it. I’ve been mixing it in her water but I don’t know if it’s enough.

Back
Top Bottom