Help Ducklings picking on younger one

I had something similar but it was my nans 2 drakes bullying one of my other drakes and 2 girls and they would corner them in a box i put in the run with them and chase them back in if they came out and they were denied food and water so i removed them. Then, the ducks started to bully my 4 ducklings when i put them out too and i watched them for a while and they carried on fighting so i tried splitting them up but the best thing to do is just leave them get used to eachother.

It's all to do with them sorting out the pecking order of the coop/run etc and once thats decided they'll settle down fine. Now my ducklings have learnt just to keep away from my black/brown bibbed because she's gone broody and is a bit more defensive again.

Sorry for such a story but i'm sure if you give them time they'll settle. The real problem is when someone's being denied food and water. Hope this helps

I just got another ducklings today, and the older ducklings are picking on it, what can I do?!
Separate it from them. You can't put ducks that haven't brooded together and expect it to be love at first sight. Even with ducklings it takes them awhile to get use to the intruder umm new one. Put it in a clear plastic brooder where they can see each other but the older ones can't pick at it. If you do it slow they will eventually get along
the older ducklings can Kill a younger one too. .

Last edited:
I have them in a box, the two baby chicks seem to be treating the new one well, its the ducks that keep chasing her around, just worries me a bit I am new at this, I hope they do settle down soon don't want anyone hurt.

I'm not sure of your setup or how old they are, but I've found that with my 80 ducklings ranging from 1 month old to a day old that I put some of the more passive, younger ducklings that are already part of the group in with the brand new ones. It allows them to get used to a more gentle duck and that one acts as a segue into the larger group when they are about a week old.

the older ones I had gotten on may 12th just got the newer one today. They seem to be warming up to her now but not to sure. she was peeping really loudly a bit ago.

I'm really new to ducklings but one thing I have learned is if you notice a difference in the peeps something wrong usually. My adult duck didn't like our ducklings when we tried to move them outside with her. She would chase them around in their pen and it was very scary. We only have one pen so they have to stay out there. We divided the pen with rat wire and that solved the problem. Our adult duck free ranges all day and when we get the little ducks, they are 7 weeks old now, out they basically get along great. The babies follow her around like she is their mom. When she gets out of their sight they run to catch her. She does run them out of her pool or anything she doesn't want to share with them. We tried putting them in together again but she still chases them or sort of flocks them. I'm going to try again around 12 weeks to see how it goes.

They're being nice to the little one now from what I've noticed, Waddles and Duckie are the oldest ducklings Oreo is my newest, I'll possibly put them in a bowl of water to let them swim for a bit when it gets hotter out.

Back
Top Bottom