Help.! Ducks and chickens

katherinerose14

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Hi. I have 1 rooster, 4 hens, and 2 ducks living together. They have all been living together for about 8 months. Recently my ducks have started attacking my chickens. Trying to push them into the water. And teaming up and pulling my chickens and plucking their feathers out of their heads. I dont know what to do. I cant build a sepreate home for them. And i dont want to get rid of them.

If you separate them for a few days to a week, when they come back the ducks will be at the bottom of the pecking order. They can stay in a large dog cage (depending on how many ducks you have) or an X-Pen. If you see the ducks bullying the chickens, one thing you can do is shake a tin can filled with pennies and pebbles immediately when they begin to pick on them. They hate the noise and will stop what they are doing to see what it is. Also, where is the pond? If it is in the same run as the chickens, it would be best if you relocated it. Chickens should be kept in a dry environment, unless you're free ranging and the pond is simply nearby.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Unfortunately male ducks can be very hard on hens, and have been known to overbreed them to death. Do you have female ducks, and enough of them for the males to be contented? I would certainly recommend separating them before one of the hens is injured.

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. If you have a drake trying to breed your chickens then you need to separate them immediately. Ducks and chickens have very different reproductive systems. A drake will cause serious damage to your hens vent and can kill her.

If you have drakes, they are likely to kill your hens by breeding them. You may have to choose one or the other if your pen space is limited. Good luck, and welcome to BYC.

I dont beleive they are breeding them. I have seen them even try and pick on the rooster. And ive only witnessed them picking on my hens once. They try and pluck feathers out but ive never seen them try and breed them If i got a female duck would it help?

Back
Top Bottom