HELP!! Ducks attacked my baby rooster

I don't keep water or food in the coop. But, it's all about management and what works for your flock. I don't house my chickens with the ducks either. I have had a few of my muscovy girls prefer to sleep in the chicken coop, but that was a phase they went through.
If you can't separate, you really need to find the drakes new homes because drakes cannot mate with chickens - and you just never know when they might be tempted to do so.
I guess I could separate we built them a huge chicken coop for 22. We only have 14 all together ducks and chickens.
Do you think it would work only separating them at night and letting them coexist together during the day?

I guess I could separate we built them a huge chicken coop for 22. We only have 14 all together ducks and chickens.
Do you think it would work only separating them at night and letting them coexist together during the day?
Unfortunately it wouldn't. Your drake to duck hen ratio is off. Hormones play a lot into these issues.
Where are they kept during the day?

Unfortunately it wouldn't. Your drake to duck hen ratio is off. Hormones play a lot into these issues.
Where are they kept during the day?
They are kept outside together in a run. They don’t bother each other much. Ducks play in their little pool and chickens play in the yard and sleep on the perch. I think I could eventually get a few more female ducks (hens) I just need to do some convincing and get them situated for now. I hope that will solve the problem. They don’t seem to be bothering the chickens anymore. Maybe it was because the rooster wanted some water and jumped down to get some from the ducks and they ganged up on him? I put the chickens their own water up higher and I have a Camera on them tonight

Back
Top Bottom