help! ducks can't move legs

whisner00

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I have to white crested ducks that can't move their legs. About 2 weeks ago one could not stand on her left leg and I separated her from the others to see if it would heal thinking she sprained it. It did not seem broken. I thought she was going downhill when her other leg went limp. But then she perked up and has had a good appetite and good drinking along with using the bathroom. Eyes are clear and she's alert when you go to her.However both legs are stiff and not bending or moving. This morning I went to let out my others and had another white crested duck with the same leg issues. I separated that one also and yesterday evening when they were closed up for the night I didn't notice anything wrong. I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts and or ideas as to what could be wrong. I'm thinking euthanization but they are so alert and repsonsive other than leg issues.

Thank you in advance!

How old are they? If it's more than one bird I'm thinking possible deficiency. Cresteds can be more susceptible to deficiencies which would explain why it's happening to your White Cresteds.

I'd be getting a vitamin supplement into them asap - e.g. sav-a-chick or some other bird vitamins that go in their water. Additional niacin is a good idea as well. You can do a search on here for the options for adding niacin.

They'll be two next april/may,,,we have bought black crested ducks this year and have had some problems. We lost one and another had a seizure. We didn't have any problems with our white ones until now and didn't realize the issues with crested until our new ones this year.

Thank you I will definitely check into the vitamins and niacin. I'd much rather have other options to try before euthanization.

I hope the nutrients work out for your ducks. Also yes Crested Ducks are often a genetic wasteland for health issues. I wish more people would realize just because it's "Cute" doesn't mean it won't have side effects from it. I would love nothing more than to hear about the extinction of the crested gene.

Back
Top Bottom