HELP...dying chick!!!

blueheaven

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Central Indiana
one of my rir is not doing well.
got 10 chicks tues and all doing well tues, wed.
rir not doing well this morning. just lying there. eyes closed.
came home, still in same spot.
breathing, but has not moved. when pick her up - she does not open her eyes or do much. dip her beak in water...perks up and squirms - but lays back down and does not move...
any ideas?!
should we do something so she does not suffer?

HELP...please!

Check her butt for a stoppage in her vent. Does she have poop in there? If so, search for "pasty butt" and follow those directions on how to treat this.

You could try a little liquid by dropper, placed on the tip of her beak, to see if you can get her drinking.

I don't think terramycin will help her
it is an antibiotic and she is just not a thriving chick
did those that answered your other thread have any good ideas.
If she doesn't perk up she may not make it

i just gave her pedilyte (kids drink) at 8:30pm. she has opened her eyes a few times...so i guess that is better. she is just pretty lifeless.

i just moved her to a seperate shoe box and hoping she will be better there without the others pestering her.

thanks.

sad.png

Sorry about the chick,as I have been there done that.
You can try to mix a small amout of sugar in some water and try to use the dropper on the side of her mouth to get her to drink some and the sugar will help pick her up some.Also by having her somewhere by herself she will get cold so make a hot water bottle and wrap a washrag around it and she should snuggle up to that to help keep her body temp up.
I would be carefull about the pedalyte as it can cause diarrhea.
I have used this method on some of my chicks and it helped them however we do not know what may be her problem and all you can do is support therapy,IE water,and you can even make her food liquid by using hot water and mixing it up and then give her the liquid.
Hope this helps you in some way.
Linda

thanks.

i will switch to sugar water and i just gave her a bit of yoguart.

she looked too lonely by herself, so since the others were sleeping, i put her back...

will keep you posted.
thanks.

Back
Top Bottom