HELP! Dying chicken - clear/light green something (poop?)

wat_da_cluck

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
SW Connecticut
6.5 month old Americauna, never laid an egg. She's been acting off the last few days, not really eating, hiding behind the coop, choosing to not free range. This morning she didn't come out at all. Won't eat anything. Her bestie has been hanging with her the last few days, but he emerges to eat and then returns to see her. The only thing coming out of her is this clear "poop" - it doesn't look like egg tho? I'm going to rifle through the chicken bedding now to see if I see anything.

Could this be parasites? I haven't seen anything in any chicken poops and they get oregano oil. No evidence of any mites in feathers. Salmonella? Flu?

Physically - will not eat or drink, dropping wings, unsteady on feet, wont move.

Attachments

• IMG_0962.jpeg
    IMG_0962.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 21
Can you try giving her some Poultry NutriDrench orally 2 ml? Or try electrolytes or Gatorade, but I would try getting fluids into her. Do you have a picture of her or is she puffed/hunched in appearance? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy like a balloon? Coccidiosis could be possible, but more common in younger birds. Reproductive infection, crop or organ failure are possibilities. It is very hard to know without getting a necropsy if you should lose her. You can contact the state vet and take or send her in, but the body must be kept cold, not frozen. Here is a link for the state vets if you lose her:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

The vet checked for worms, but what about coccidiosis or enteritis? He could also have checked for salmonella, although that is not very common, and cause white diarrhea. Unfortunately I wonder if she might have Mareks disease or cancer, but you may not be able to know unless you get your state vet to perform a necropsy. The state vet is much more prepared for testing, and histology, and knows what to look for, moreso than a regular or avian vet. Bodies must be kept cold, not frozen, and taken or shipped overnight to arrive M-F. Here is a list of state vets for you to information before the time comes:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Thank you all for your help. She passed away last night.
We will be sending her off for Necropsy to see what caused this. Everyone is devastated - couldn't have happened to a sweeter chook. I will share what we find as this was an awful 5 weeks - we tried so hard, and so did she.
IMG_2841.jpeg

Very sorry for your loss. Be sure to keep her body refrigerated, not frozen, and wrapped in 2 clean garbage bags. Hopefully, you can get a diagnosis from the state vet.

This chicken is committed to dying. BUT she is still with us. After posting I gave her Amoxicillin and rushed her to the vet. The exotic vet thought she was going to die on the table - she had a gallop heart beat, couldn't stand, could lift her wings - so we gave her subcutaneous fluids, force fed her, gave her subcutaneous ivermectin, and put her on a 7 day course of antibiotics (i think tylosen, have to check). Whelp - the chicken lived! And even thrive! In a couple days she was making noises and protesting her confinement. HOWEVER now she is loosing weight again and puffing up - keeping her wings to her side - and no longer making much noise. She is almost 8 months old and weighs 3lb exactly - she was 3lb 3oz when we brought her in 10 days ago, got up to 3lb 8oz a 7 days ago, but has been loosing weight since then, a couple oz a day. My guess is a month ago she was at about 4-4.5lbs. She eats a bit - her crop feels a bit like a marshmallow at the moment, and I don't think she can see out of her right eye at the moment as she eats her food super oddly, almost sideways. Her crop is never full - yesterday it was small in the evening, but before then it was full-ish at night, I could feel all the feed. Today she didn't eat anything until I gave her grubblies. Shes putting herself in a corner again and puffing up/being a potato. Oh and her poops look gross agan - not the lime green, but still pretty watery.

We tested for worms - panel came back negative.

@Eggcessive Would like to know your thoughts? Salmonella? bacterial infection of some kind? She did start to turn about we stopped giving her the antibiotics - but maybe even before that?

Also - poop is no longer bright green. It was healthy looking until today but now getting a little light brown/globby. The thread "No energy and bright green poop!" is amazing - wondering if @Betsy57, @casportpony, @gina1009 from that thread might have a thought of whats going on with my gal? @Wyorp Rock you are a chicken health genius - thoughts on what is going on? Fungal infection maybe? So odd, I really don't want to loose her.

Back
Top Bottom