Help! Egg broken and chick inside breathing

Good luck! How far along are your eggs?
First broody with 2 eggs due this Sunday. Then another with 2 eggs due next Thursday, then 2 hens with 2 each due 5/8. Aaaannnddd just found a fifth hen going broody. 🤦‍♀️ Too many! The fifth hen is just out of luck. All of them aren’t even quite a year old - about nine months at the most!!

EDIT: Apparently I never hit the send button!!! So sorry!!

First broody with 2 eggs due this Sunday. Then another with 2 eggs due next Thursday, then 2 hens with 2 each due 5/8. Aaaannnddd just found a fifth hen going broody. 🤦‍♀️ Too many! The fifth hen is just out of luck. All of them aren’t even quite a year old - about nine months at the most!!

EDIT: Apparently I never hit the send button!!! So sorry!!
I'd love to see picks as they hatch! I have 2 out now!

20210501_134719.jpg

Two happy little ones so far! It doesn't look like anyone else has pipped yet, the anticipation is killing me lol 😅

I need more advice! So 5 of the 6 have now hatched. The last egg externally pipped Saturday afternoon and had no movement. After reading the assisted hatch thread I decided to open up the egg a bit more over the air sac as it had been well over 24 hours with no movement. The chick is very active and peeping but still making the eating motions with its mouth. I put coconut oil over the membrane and put her back under mom. This morning the chick is still mouthing. Is there something wrong or is this one just taking extra time to cook? It's been about 40 hours now since external pip.

*In the photo the dried yoke on the egg is from the first egg that I found opened and mom eating the yoke.

Attachments

• 20210503_081941.jpg
    20210503_081941.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210503_081937.jpg
    20210503_081937.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 3
I was out of town when my first time broody starting sitting, my best guess is they are due to hatch Saturday. I just went to check on her and found an egg broken open. The chick is clearly breathing. Is there anything I can do?

Any advice is appreciated!
Make sure the egg doesn’t dry out and maybe try to keep it humid, an in maybe in a small incubator so you could keep and eye on it? This is just a suggestion and it what I did when I accidentally chipped a hatching egg , I also kept the membrane wet with water and a paintbrush

Make sure the egg doesn’t dry out and maybe try to keep it humid, an in maybe in a small incubator so you could keep and eye on it? This is just a suggestion and it what I did when I accidentally chipped a hatching egg , I also kept the membrane wet with water and a paintbrush
Unfortunately I don't have an incubator. But it is very hot and humid out in texas, I keep going out there to add coconut oil to the membrane. Just wondering if it's normal for a chick to take 40+ hours to hatch after pip 🤔

Back
Top Bottom