Help egg just hatched in incubator and I am not ready what do I do?

Johnhhoward

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2021
Eggs just started hatching and I have no idea what to do. Do I leave in the incubator or remove it is still wet but it is very warm in the incubator. But I need to know what I am supposed to do now and I have no clue , please help

Leave it in the incubator at least until it is dry and fluffy.

It is safe to leave it there for 48 hours or perhaps even a bit longer.

That should be plenty of time for you to set up a brooder, and hopefully by then some other chicks will hatch to keep it company.

A just-hatched chick will sleep a lot, and will sometimes stumble around clumsily, and will keep collapsing into sleep again. It will also peck at everything. All of that is normal in the first few days.

Baby chicks absorb the yolk just before they hatch, and it provides enough food & water for at least 3 days and nights (72 hours.) Letting the chick eat or drink sooner is safe, but there is no need to worry about it starving if you just leave it in the incubator until tomorrow or the next day. The yolk is nature's way of making sure the first chicks can stay snuggled under the mother until the later ones finish hatching, but it comes in handy for incubated chicks too.

Back
Top Bottom