HELP!!! Egg turner not working!

Egg_newton

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
East Central Indiana
I have a LG with auto egg turner. My eggs have been in the incubator for three days and I noticed that the turner is always in the same position. I even put a little level in there to see if it ever moved.... it doesn't. What do I do?

Turn by hand.
I always manually turned my eggs when I used my LG.
That way I was always aware of the temp & humidity... well, at least 3 times a day, anyways.
big_smile.png

We took the motor off and are turning by hand every 4-6 hours. It's pretty easy since they are all still in the turner and we just have to rock it back and forth. Also, ordered a new motor and another turner since we have a big lab incubator we are planning on converting anyway. Will probably end up using the big one as the bator and little one as the hatcher.

This is my first hatch. So, it is mostly mixed birds from my flock. I have three silkie eggs, and 22 others that are blue orp roo over, black orp, white rock, rir, and ee. I wanted to try hatching some of my own before I paid for hatching eegs. If these do well I'm going to get some olive EE eggs and silkie eggs.

I have been turning by hand this whole time. Once before work, once after, and once before bed. I pencil X's on one side of the egg, and O's on the other.

Neither of which helps if you don't write down what it was on last
roll.png
So get a scrap of paper, label it 1-21,

(or 4-18, then lock down)

1 XOX
2 OXO
3 XOX

I think you get it....

I have a hatching calendar on the wall above the bator. With pictures of chickens on it of course.
wink.png
I have the 21 days maked off. And I am writing down what times of the day I turned them.

I used to write the temp & humidity when I turned my eggs... that way I remembered to check the humidity and add water.
big_smile.png

I have some of my BR & mixed eggs hatching right before yours... and some cochin, MF, and sizzle set to hatch right after. I have quite a few staggered sets going right now. The largest set is 30ish mixed breed eggs and the smallest set is 4 booted bantam eggs.

I check the temp and humidity about 10 times a day! I don't touch anything unless it is close to being out of range. I've read that can spell doom if you keep adjusting it all the time. So far temp has been holding pretty steady. I see you have quite a lot of hatching experience under your belt. I also love your avaitar. I think I sent you a PM one time telling you what a beautiful tattoo it was... It would make one heck of a cool tat...

Thanks for the compliment!
I have bigger & better plans for a backpiece, but my custom shoulder tat cost about $500 and 16 hours... so the back piece will have to wait.
When I used an LG, it was a still air without a turner. I had some pretty good hatches.
They really don't compare to a cabinet 'bator, though. The only problem is that the cabinet 'bators hold A LOT of eggs... LOL! I set 60+ chicken & duck eggs... with about 4 or 5 staggered hatch dates. Incubating is sooo addictive. I only get to keep about a dozen of the chicks. They're mostly for local orders already placed.
I keep detailed hatch records. I'm weird like that. All the info on temp, humidity, when I added water, how often I candled... that sort of thing. I'm a bit of an organization freak! LOL!
I guess it has helped, though. For example: I know where my humidity should be for my different types of eggs... no matter what people say, I'll keep with what works best for me.
Now if I could just get a hold of some fertile peafowl eggs.
wink.png
(My pair are too young to lay.)

Back
Top Bottom