Help! Eggs arriving different dates

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jen-Brd, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Jen-Brd

Jen-Brd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    I made the mistake of ordering two batches of eggs on same day from different parts of the country. One is due to arrive 3/9 the other 3/20. Sellers would not work with me on dates :( I have one incubator (Farm Innovator with egg turner). Is there any successful way to run these together??? This will be only my 3rd. Incubation.

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    Well, I've had eggs stored for two weeks prior to hatching, so if you recieve day or two days old eggs, I guess you could properly store them and wait for the second batch...

3. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    What you can do is remove a few trays of your turner, if it's the kind I think it is. Put your eggs which should be hatching in a plastic box like from the dollar store, with a bit of rubber mat under them so the hatching chicks can get a grip and do not go splay leg. Put this tray in the area where you removed some of the turner trays. (the rubber mat is like in my avatar picture, you can find it near silver ware usually)

Get this all set up before your eggs arrive :) When it's time to lock down, take your oldest eggs and put in the plastic tray. Put the lid back on and cross your fingers. The tray should hold them long enough so they do not end up under the egg turner. Taking the lid off the incubator a few times shouldn't effect the eggs much. Broody hens do take breaks and the eggs are just fine.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. Jen-Brd

Jen-Brd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Great advise! Thank you! One of the shippers kindly agreed to ship in 3 weeks so problem averted :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by