HELP EMERGANCY

The coconut oil may help. I would watch for any signs of going off food or water, lethargy, or weight loss. When chickens eat metal foreign objects the result can be 'hardware disease'. Without seeing the earring in question, it's hard to say if it could be an issue. The smaller it is, the more likely it will pass. The main concern with a post type earring would be a puncture to the digestive tract, and the grinding of the gizzard. A small object could be rendered non-dangerous by the muscle grinding and grit in the gizzard, but again, hard to say for this particular object, since we don't know what it looks like. Screws, nails, and staples are often the cause of hardware disease. Since it was sterling silver then there is no risk of metal toxicity from zinc or lead, so puncture would be the concern, and infection/sepsis. There are many threads where earrings, ponytail elastics, and all sorts of odd things were swallowed with no apparent issues.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/10/14/hardware-disease-in-backyard-chickens/
095a5ac0-9a86-4271-a6d6-e49ed0d828fb-jpeg.2186739
095A5AC0-9A86-4271-A6D6-E49ED0D828FB.jpeg

coconut oil!! the consistency is great too because it is yummy and will dissolve as he eats it and act as a nice lubricant.

Most of them like it. You can refrigerate or freeze it until hard and then break into peices to give him. If he won't eat it on his own then put peices in his beak and he will swallow them.

Most of them like it. You can refrigerate or freeze it until hard and then break into peices to give him. If he won't eat it on his own then put peices in his beak and he will swallow them.
did you see the photo of the earing i the thread? its 1.5m long, i hope he will be ok as he is the only duck that hatched for me and it was my first hatch ;(

I did see the picture of the earring. It seems small enough, but I can't say that it won't be a problem, or that it will. It's just very hard to predict what will happen inside. I hope it passes. If vet care is an option, then an xray might be helpful. Once it passes beyond the crop there is not much that can be done other than hope it passes through.

I did see the picture of the earring. It seems small enough, but I can't say that it won't be a problem, or that it will. It's just very hard to predict what will happen inside. I hope it passes. If vet care is an option, then an xray might be helpful. Once it passes beyond the crop there is not much that can be done other than hope it passes through.
ok thankyou!

how long does it take for stuff to pass through the digestive system?

Back
Top Bottom