Help Emergency!!! Hen pooping straight blood

I also think it's a good idea to address the possibility that she might have something like capillary worms, which you would need to treat with Safeguard liquid or paste @ 0.23 ml per pound for five consecutive days, 'cause I seriously doubt that she ate enough Safeguard pellets to do any good.

-Kathy

She wasn't pooping a lot and it was just blood at times, and sometimes she'd have fibery material like feathers or grass in it, and since we don't know exactly what's wrong with her we're tubing with mineral oil and water to help move stuff along incase there is a blockage, as well as keeping her hydrated.

I haven't heard of capillary worms. What are the symptoms, and could that explain the blood? I will look into getting the liquid safeguard, I wish I would have gotten the liquid in the first place.

I haven't heard of capillary worms. What are the symptoms, and could that explain the blood? I will look into getting the liquid safeguard, I wish I would have gotten the liquid in the first place.
Capillary worms can damage the esophagus, crop and intestines to the point where they actually can cause the crop not to empty properly and for food not to be digested properly. Blood in poop screams worms, coccidia or bacterial infection to me, so that's what I would treat for.

-Kathy

I posted about my chicken Nellie on here a few weeks ago. I noticed a few strange droppings that were very liquidy/mucousy with a little blood and her crop seemed a little squishy. She was also lethargic and listless an just wasn't herself.

When I asked about it on here everyone said to treat her for coccidiosis, but our vet thought otherwise. We don't have an avian vet around us but we talked to our equine vet and were told that it's possible she had some sort of crop impaction and most likely not cocci. So we've been tubing her with mineral oil, and giving her probiotics. But her poop continued to stay very loose and wet.

Now yesterday I noticed what appeared to be fresh blood in her poop, and this morning her poop was nothing but blood. Help!!! She's normally a pretty good layer but I don't think she's laid an egg in awhile, but the whole flock has slowed down laying recently so it's hard to tell who's not laying. She had a few decent days but went downhill again yesterday and today and I just don't know what to do to help her!

Hello I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping you could tell me what happened to your hen? I’m experiencing the exact same thing with one of my own, so much straight blood poos and I’ve been treating for cocci for three days. Did your hen respond to cocci treatment?

Hello I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping you could tell me what happened to your hen? I’m experiencing the exact same thing with one of my own, so much straight blood poos and I’ve been treating for cocci for three days. Did your hen respond to cocci treatment?
I’ve also dewormed and treated for mites

Back
Top Bottom