HELP!!!! EMERGENCY!!!!! svaing a little birds life!

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
i need help on what to do!

my dogs kill all the little fledglings that fall from the nest when they try to fly. my brother just caught our blue heeler attacking a fledging cowbird chick

what do i do!!?? do i put it with my chicks in the brooder?
i can't call and wildlife department because my parents would object and i can't take it anywere that the dogs can't reach!

i bet some people will read this and think that its just a baby chick, let them kill it, it won't make much of a difference. but it does make a difference to this chick.

what do i do?!

call wildlife control and ask f you can bring it in instead of them coming to pick it up..

unless you can chew bugs and worms and feed it back to the baby he may be sunk...

can you put it back in the nest? or is it injured?

Do not put it with your chicks. They can get diseases and mites from wild birds. Does it have feathers ? If it is starting to fly, take it somewhere nearby where the dogs can't get it, and release it. The parents are around, and they will care for it.

Is it injured? Do you have a wildlife rehab facility anywhere nearby?

So sad for birds this time of year - we all really need to keep our cats and dogs under control till fledgings are able to fly.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

If it's not injured the parenst will help it but the dogs MUST be kept away.

JJ

Last edited:
I wouldn't put it in with my chicks...it may be a carrier of something...mites,lice or a disease. I would try to find it a different brooder,keep it warm....and I have read on here you can feed a baby bird with a toothpick and some moistened dry dog food....Hope this helps a little....hope you get a response from someone else more knowledgeable than me...Good Luck!
And No, I don't think it's "just a chick"....I would do the same
smile.png

i don't think its injured.

hes fledging, hes got all his feathers and he is in juvinile plumage.

as i said above, my parents would object calling the wildlife department and my dogs will find the chick no matter where i put it.

A wildlife rehab place is different than a wildlife department. Not sure what your parent's objection would be to trying to help a helpless being - sigh.
Anyway, if you're syaing the dogs simply cannot be kept under control, then it's sad because more fledgings will get attacked by this besides this one.
The parents won't find the chick if you move it too far away but if the dog's murdered all its sibs, it sure would be nice if the parents at least had one baby to continue caring for.
I don't know what to tell you.
JJ

Quote:
i'll see what my parents say when they come home later. my dad would probably think its just a chick and it needs no special care.

we scold the dogs when ever we catch them with a bird.

thats the thing, i think the nest is in a tree right close to the house and the dogs are always outside, most of the time close to that tree

i think his wing might be injured. i took a good look at him and he holds out one of his wings a little outward, not tucked beside his body

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom