Help! Endless Rain = Stench Beyond Belief

chickiebaby

Songster
12 Years
Jan 2, 2008
western mass
Help, ya'll, help! I've been keeping birds for years now and I have never had a problem like this. Everybody already knows it has rained here like cats and dogs and more dogs and more cats - for a couple of weeks now, and with no end in sight.

We have twenty four birds, at the moment.

My run smells horrific. I've limed it. Ive hit it with DE. I've turned it. I've scooped the top layer and added it to the composter. I've dumped in LOTS of sand.

Still, it reeks. I do not live in the country. I have neighbors. This can't go on. I am afraid I will have to halve my flock and give the other half to friends, nearby, with lots more land. And it will still stink, in the meantime, for awhile. I'm afraid someone will call town hall and turn me in.

Anyone have any other ideas, at all?
Thank you.

Sounds like you are doing what needs to be done.

Including halving your flock.

You may need to completely cover the run.

Dang global WARMING anyway!

I have the same odor problem..can you scrape it all out and start over? I was going to today but they called for more rain - of course it didn't!! But that's what I'm planning on, just taking out the whole bedding and straw and starting again.

Good luck.

I think the reason it smells is bacterial. Get some enzyme odor digester, like Zapsit, or Nature's Remedy, or a barnyard odor controller I forgot the name of. Soak it. That should cure the smell.

Same problem here. Dang this rain! I used Stall-Dry and it killed the smell and the flies took off. Next? Full roofing!

I think we just need to be patient and wait out this rain. Looks like it'll clear out on Thursday. Until then apologize to your neighbors and assure them that when it dries out the odor will go away. Good luck and hang tight!

Actually the last lime treatment seemed to help, and the sand did too. A bit better today. Anyway, sounds like we are not alone - always good to know! Thank you.

I know it is costly but can you make 2 runs and alternate them? Using one and letting the grass grow on the other?

Back
Top Bottom