Help? Escaping babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by connellebreske, Sep 7, 2011.

1. connellebreske

connellebreske Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    I have 2 mixed breed baby chicks. they are around 12 weeks old. they have an 8x10 run area and a nice coop my hubby made them with a roost inside. we have a run of poultry netting over the outdoor area but the sides are a bit open, hubby put fishing line up to keep the hawks out but when i went to check on the girls for the night, they were OUT OF THE CAGE AND UP ON TOP!!!! Can i clip their wings like regular birds so they do not fly? or is that not a good idea? i just dont want gurdy and harrietta gettin loose and "flyin the coop"
  2. Country Chick

Country Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Gibsonia, PA
    I know it can be done. Not sure exactly how though
  3. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    i wouldn't clip baby's wings. they're still growing, they may still have the vein going up the wing feathers, which will bleed a lot of you cut it. you're better off putting some cheapie deer netting or something over the top where they are getting out. safer all around [​IMG]

(edit to clarify)
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They are 12 wks old.......... hardly babies, I think you need to come around with your thinking to treat them as bigger chickens and not little babies, they out-smarted you at 12 wks that doesn't sound like babies to me LOL.
  5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Here is a section on Wing Clipping here on BYC. A lot of information without starting a new thread is searchable. In the search box I said "Chicken Wing Clipping" and this was one of the results. Good luck. Only do 1 side. Flight feathers only. I heard you leave the last 3 big feathers;

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by