Help! Feather Plucking!

Lovechickens202

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2015
My chicken is molting. I don't know what is going on, but the feather tips were fine till yesterday. Then they were all bloody and now the skin around the broken feather tips is all swollen. I put a charcoal slurry on it and separated her from the group. But does any one know what is wrong? We also just got a duck. Could this be stressing her?

yes the duck WILL stress her out... the duck could have been pecking her.... once i put my ducks in with my chickens and they were fighting like nuts.. some wont. but some will.. the duck may be bugging her..

i would be best to move the duck into its own pen.. and let the chicken have hers.. dose she have cuts? and is she in pain?

It was bleeding but it has stopped. But now the skin around that area is all swollen and I don't think she is in pain, but she doesn't like me to touch it. And I will try moving the duck.

My chicken is molting. I don't know what is going on, but the feather tips were fine till yesterday. Then they were all bloody and now the skin around the broken feather tips is all swollen. I put a charcoal slurry on it and separated her from the group. But does any one know what is wrong? We also just got a duck. Could this be stressing her?

Something or some animal is damaging the pen or blood feathers before they can harden off. It may be the duck is tasting these new feathers. The new feathers will never mature now much beyond their current state of development. It would be a kindness to pluck out the severely damaged feathers so that your hen can grow a new and perfect set of plumage.

A chicken with damaged blood feathers is in danger of bleeding out. Plucking the damaged feather out of the feather follicle halts this bleeding.

Handling a hen or rooster during the molt is a sure way to create man or woman shy chickens because during the molt a chicken is achy and feverish and does not want to be held, petted, cuddled, or monkeyed with. Thank of it like you had a bad sunburn or blistered back and someone slapped you on your back.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom