Help-Feather plucking

Yankee11

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
I have about 10 chickens, not quiet laying yet, getting close.

I have noticed that the birds are beginning to miss feathers.
I spent some time out in the run today just watching and here's what I saw. I have a trio of Welsummers that seem to just walk around
and pluck feathers from the rest of the birds. They are trying to relax
in the shade and take dust baths and they cant because if the 3 Welsummers constantly plucking feathers from them.

Now it's driving me crazy and I'm not even the one getting plucked.

Anything I can do stop this short of getting rid of the 3. I hate to get rid of them before they start laying. I had a hard time finding them in the first place.

Could it just be protein or bad habit.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

So these are all laying pullets, getting close to laying? I would make sure they are getting plenty of protein, maybe add some cooked egg, meal worms or washed cottage cheese. Make sure they have access to oystershell and grit so they aren't craving anything. I had one pullet that was eating feathers left and right before she started laying (but not plucking). Could they be bored--do they free-range? Give them weeds and treats to scratch for and keep them busy. You could try the old hanging cabbage just out of reach trick.

Yes,young pullets. The ones pulling and eating the feathers are the oldest ones. These should be the first to start laying. These 3 are 5 months old or so, the rest are 3-4 months old.

I lock them up in a coop at night. The run is 15 by 60. They are in the run while I am work then they get out to free range on 5 acres when I get home. So they should not be hurting for space.

I did boil 4 eggs this afternoon. First time I have given them eggs
and they went crazy sucking them down. They have food at all times. I am feeding them Grower Crumbles.

What would be a good food with high protein?

I'll try protein first, if that doesn't do it I may have to section them off part of the 60ft run for a while.

Thanks Steve

Back
Top Bottom