HELP feed delivered/FULL OF BUGS!!!

You did get gipped, but since you certainly don't want another bag of the same, do what was suggested and put the bag in the freezer to kill the bugs and let them have it. I'd certainly take pics and complain to them, though! Shipped feed is sure harder to deal with returning. I always take back buggy feed. Every bag I get has a cup or two of food grade DE added to it so that if any bugs get in there, they won't live long, but to buy feed that is old and vitamin-depleted is a gip.

A couple of summers ago I had trouble with weevils in the feed I was getting. The mill the feed store was getting it from said the hot dry weather intensifies the problem. The feed store had only been open a short time and the guys were inexperienced. The mill told the feed store that it was no big deal, the bugs wouldn't hurt the chickens. I had to explain to them that it didn't hurt the chickens to eat the bugs, but that it broke down the nutrients in the feed and if their customers were complaining it was a big deal. Needless to say, I and several other customers quit buying from them when they didn't get the problem resolved. Unfortunately the loss of customers and problems dealing with the mill caused the feed store to also close so now I have to travel about 30 miles to get what I want.

I have only a small freezer top of my fridge. No way to freeze it. Ive already hauled it out to the road to keep the bugs out of my yard. I know the chickens eat bugs, but Im not going to feed 'buggy' feed. And apparently not going to feed natural or organic anymore either!! I'll just give them good healthy treats and get some organic wheat for a snack.

The only reason I would ever say feed it to them was because you got it shipped in and returning is a hassle or near to impossible. If I bought buggy feed locally, it would go right back. Bugs do deplete the vitamin/mineral content of the feed and grind it down so you are not getting what you paid for. Things are expensive enough without paying full price for an inferior/old product.
smile.png

I suspect that I use the same feed as you, but I have been very happy with it. I've used several 50# bags and have not had an issue with bugs. I would definitely contact them and if you don't want to replace the bag, tell them you want a refund. It seems to me that their distribution channels are not well set up and by letting them know about the bugs, maybe they can work on it a bit.

abejita>
I did email them. Havent heard back yet. This was my first bag. I think I got the link from you on another thread. So I looked them up and ordered a couple days ago. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought to find a bag 'workin alive' with bugs. The bag was bubble wrapped and packed very well. I cant believe they didnt see those bugs crawling on the outside of the bag. They were on the bag, in the box, and in the bag all over the feed........The box and bag are sittin out by the road. I dont want to try another. I also got pellets from another place in Washington state that are VERY fresh, but my hens dont like it. I dont know if its the feed, or just because its pellets and they are used to crumbles. They arent even eating much crumbles right now. Maybe coz its so hot, and Im giving them kefir mixed in with the new stuff and scratch, and extra wheat from the health food store. I also give them cooked brown rice with bacon about 3 times a week.

Well,now I feel bad! I am sorry your first contact with them sucked.

I looked on their website and there are also phone numbers. This is the numbers for H and H:
By Phone: 512-755-5056
(ask for April)

2nd Contact Phone: 512-755-6180
(ask for Keith)

And this is the number for mobile chicken coop, the place you ordered through
512 / 756-7537

I would also push to get your shipping refunded since that cost as much as the feed itself.

Quote:
That used to be me until I got tired of being walked on. Now I make them make it good! They made a promise to me and if they break their word they have to make it right. I am nobody's door mat anymore.

Back
Top Bottom