HELP! First-time Call Duck owner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dixiechick, Jan 9, 2011.

1. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Calling all BYCers!!!! I'm a chicken owner/breeder and now my kids have obtained two beautiful white call ducks. The breeders said they raised them on wire and provided a kitty-litter tray with water on one end and a nest on the other. These little guys (Mr Quackers and Aflac) are just that....little guys (young drakes). My question is: How do you build a nest for them? Size? They are in separate pens. Each pen is elevated with wire bottoms. Their pens are approximately 2'Hx2'Dx6'L.

Thanks so much!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Why do you have them seperated? Ducks love to be with their kind, need the socializing. My ducks like old dog crates the small sizes.

3. dixiechick

Can 2 drakes be together without fighting?

4. dixiechick

Can 2 drakes be together without fighting?

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If they are raised together they do fine. During breeding season, there could be an issue. Unless there is no female, they still may be fine. I have 4 males and 6 females that stay in the same pen and I do not have issues.

6. dixiechick

They were from different breeders and are young. We have NO females...so what do u think? Put thdm togehter and see? What aboutf a nest??

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I had a bachelor pen for about a dozen my call drakes for a long time.....they did fine.

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:I would put them together, they do enjoy being with others. As far as a nest, if you don't have females, you don't need a nesting box. They do need straw or pine shaving for comfort and an area at night for safety from predators, in my opinion.

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I'd put them together too. I have a bachelor pen of drakes also, and only a few of these drakes were raised together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by