help, first time hatcher,chickens

JMinhondo

In the Brooder
May 12, 2015
I've read a lot of threads but only got a few answers for my questions. I have 12 eggs in my classroom and very anxious and worried teachers.
1. Its the 21st day and we had one egg hatch. The other eggs aren't moving or chirping like the first chick. The little chick is plowing over the eggs and pecking at them. Should I be concerned??
2. I keep reading horror stories about chicks dying BC of opening the incubator. I would like to take the chick out (after 24hrs and dried) but will this harm the other eggs? Should I leave the chick in there longer? Some threads say up to 3 days while I've also read that they get dehydrated.
3. Will the chick be OK in the brooder alone? I know most animals like to be paired.
Please someone help a teacher out?

I've read a lot of threads but only got a few answers for my questions. I have 12 eggs in my classroom and very anxious and worried teachers.
1. Its the 21st day and we had one egg hatch. The other eggs aren't moving or chirping like the first chick. The little chick is plowing over the eggs and pecking at them. Should I be concerned??
2. I keep reading horror stories about chicks dying BC of opening the incubator. I would like to take the chick out (after 24hrs and dried) but will this harm the other eggs? Should I leave the chick in there longer? Some threads say up to 3 days while I've also read that they get dehydrated.
3. Will the chick be OK in the brooder alone? I know most animals like to be paired.

All these questions have been answered many times, here is one more.

1. Don't be concerned about the eggs being rolled around. Do be concerned that you don't hear any peeping. After 21 days if there are no pips, you will want to candle them to look for signs of life, and put the fat end to your ear and listen for scratching sounds.

2. If there are no pips, or cracks in the eggs, then there is no danger to open the incubator quickly to grab the chick. If there are pips, a single hole, there is a small risk...minimal if you are quick. If there is a zip, a line of cracks partially circling the egg, there is a higher risk of the chick being trapped by a dry membrane.

3. A lone chick in a brooder will be very unhappy, and very loud especially if chilled. Be sure to have the brooder warm, and add a small stuffed animal for the chick to snuggle with.

1st question I can tell you none of my eggs in my last hatch moved or made noises until they were done zipping so I wouldn't worry too much. I wouldn't worry about it moving around the other eggs either. 2nd question I opened mine all the time I also ran my humidity at 70-75% from day 18 on also. I've not had a problem with the high humidity. I also put food and water down for them about 24hrs after hatch. 3rd I'm sure the chick would do fine by it's self it knows no difference right now
1f60a.png
I hope this helps and best of luck!!!

HI-
I candled my eggs earlier this week and they didn't make it. We were fortunate to get one little chick and quickly found it a home with a family who had two chicks and a hen already. The waiting period in between the transfer to a new home was hard. The little chick was screaming unless someone picked her up and held her. Thank you for giving me the tips.

Aww
HI-
I candled my eggs earlier this week and they didn't make it. We were fortunate to get one little chick and quickly found it a home with a family who had two chicks and a hen already.  The waiting period in between the transfer to a new home was hard.  The little chick was screaming unless someone picked her up and held her.  Thank you for giving me the tips.  
awww I'm sorry but happy to hear you got one!

Back
Top Bottom