HELP! First time with baby hatchlings.. why are they all dying?? :(

I’m so sorry,it’s very hard to know what a drake may do so it’s always best to keep mom and ducklings away from him but where he can see them for at least 2-3 weeks and this lets the ducklings get to where they can get away if they need to. Being older and able to move faster. Every time is the best and safest way.

Hi again, good news. Last baby duckling is doing great but the mommas and baby got out this morning and we are having a hard time herding them away from the male. How long do you recommend the baby duck be away from the drake?

Ducks don't see other ducks as predators to their young so the hen doesn't even protect them from other ducks. That's why you need to do it.
At last resort you may have to take the duckling(s) away from the mother so you can raise them separate from the ducks that would kill it for its own protection.

Okay. We got them seperated again so we will keep an eye. There are 2 mommas though. Do I have to worry about more than one mom potentially attacking the baby?

No, not at all. She seems to be just as much of a momma as the other one. They are both equally attached. They shared their nest and incubated right next to eachother so I assume she feels its her baby just as much as the other momma duck.

Back
Top Bottom