HELP: Five Week Old Cayuga Duckling Symptoms

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ursusarctosana, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    My five week old duckling goes through periods of time lasting about a half hour or so where he/she smacks his lips as if having an issue with swallowing saliva. Also there is occasional hoarseness and then more smacking of the lips. Once in a while there is what sounds like a cough, then hoarseness. After drinking water the hoarseness goes away.

Any ideas?

I thought if I was lucky perhaps this is part of the vocal change or something, but I don't know.

Otherwise, the duckling is healthy, alert, no nasal discharge, no raspy breathing, no listlessness, etc.

Please comment. Thanks.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Check down his throat for 'gape Worms' whichare named that way since the victum usually gapes.

3. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    Update on my Cayuga: checked down his throat and his throat appears very healthy. Talked to some people and they said he's probably fine and to monitor him.

Several days have passed and he/she's still doing fine, though sometimes vocally hoarse. My friend said this is a normal symptom of vocal changes as this duckling is at the proper age for the voice to change to either the loud Quack! of a female or the low Mmruht! Mmruht! of the male.

So far so good. I was really stressing out immensely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by