Help fixing feed situation

I suppose different brands have a different amount of calcium in their layer feed. I use a Vermont brand - Poulin. They don't have an all flock. The calcium amount in the "Egg Producer" is actually lower than their "Layer". I have a bin with free choice oyster shell. The girls suck some down when they want it so it seems to me that the amount of calcium in the layer feed is not sufficient and is therefore not a problem for the littles.

For reference what are the symptoms of kidney calcification? I've never seen a problem with any of the chicks that grew up on layer after they were a few weeks old.

A short calcium comparison:
Poulin Layer 3.7-4.5
Blue Seal 3.3-4.3
Dumore 3.5-4.5

I suppose different brands have a different amount of calcium in their layer feed. I use a Vermont brand - Poulin. They don't have an all flock. The calcium amount in the "Egg Producer" is actually lower than their "Layer". I have a bin with free choice oyster shell. The girls suck some down when they want it so it seems to me that the amount of calcium in the layer feed is not sufficient and is therefore not a problem for the littles.

For reference what are the symptoms of kidney calcification? I've never seen a problem with any of the chicks that grew up on layer after they were a few weeks old.

A short calcium comparison:
Poulin Layer 3.7-4.5
Blue Seal 3.3-4.3
Dumore 3.5-4.5
Yup. Reading the label is the only way to be sure - but the 4% "target" is based on older studies of commercial layers. No reason to expect, and every reason NOT to, that 4% is the wrong target for lots of breeds which do not produce eggs of the size or frequency of a one year old commercial layer. One of the many reasons I disfavor "layer" feeds for the typical backyard flock.

Back
Top Bottom