HELP FLOCK IS DYING!!!!!

Bow-Tie-Acres

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Ocala
I have RI's. And one Barred Rock hen>
big_smile.png

We got 15 chicks and then added a 3 or 4 month old hen and rooster. Things were good for a time being then every few days we would have a one die. We thought at first it was because of the rooster and so we blocked half of the pen off so the little chicks could get away from the rooster. Then ones that were blocked away from him began to die including the 2 turkeys I had with the babies....I have seen no signs of infection or illness. I have seen nothing other than one of the turkeys had saddle legs and had to be put down because he could not stand. I have cleaned my roost and disenfected it but still nothing is a pattern or showing signs of illnes or disesase...

We thought maybe the rooster was killing the weak or ill but I am not sure now. His "girlfriend" who we got when we got him died the other day as well and we do not know why.... If anyone has any ideas please send them to me...
PLEASE before my last 3 and rooster die!!!!
sad.png

We are feeding Dumor Crumble-Grower level and toss scratch grainsevery few days....their are no signs of sickness. They have all been in same pen for 3 months now.

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
I don't know why they are dying but I am willing to bet there's a possibilty the young hen and rooster you carried in maybe carrying something? Someone else here may know.

We are feeding them Dumor Poultry crumble-Grower level and we toss in some scratch grains as well as the kids feed them the grubs from the garden every once in a while.

Welcome aboard!
I am also from Ocala, half way to Dunnellon.
Sorry to hear about your losses.
You say there are no signs. Sometimes they can be very suttle. Droopy wings, A bit of a stagger. A sneeze or cough.
It would be my first guess that the "girlfriend" was a carrier of something and the chicks being as young as they are couldn't handle it. Not knowing any symptoms makes it hard as to which direction to go with treatment. You could go to Seminole and get a bottle of VetRX and give that to them as a start. Watch really close for any little sign that might help distinguish what it might be.
I have also heard not to put turkeys and chickens together, which that might be another link.
Let us know.

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry! It's likely that someone in the group was carrying a disease that spread to the others. To know for sure you should contact your state vet office and have a necropsy done. In my state, necropsies are free (if they still have money left for them in their budget.)

It's important to know what disease it is because even if they recover from it they may become carriers and you'll be faced with the decision of keeping them totally isolated from all other birds or culling and starting over.

hugs.gif
I've been there, I know how hard it is!
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry.

Our county extension of UF's Agriculture Dept. has a vet that charges $30 for a necropsy here in Orlando. I bet you could check since you're so close to Gainesville, and maybe even get one done for free through the university… just a thought.

edited for spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom