HELP! Fly Problem - Deep Litter Method

Chickens are not Vegetarians, mine enjoy meal worms, earth worms, maggots, black soldier fly grubs, mice, and Any Bugs they can peck, or even small snakes or lizards that can't stand and fight, Then in the springtime the tadpoles in the shallow pond water are for ever in grave danger of losing their life as an edible treat to my chuucks also. Stop worrying about what they eat and enjoy the healthy eggs they produce, and know you 'll have a clean Chicken meat when you butcher,, if you don't just raise them as pets..

---30---

@ktdeluxe I also never had flies until I got chicks.
hugs.gif

There were times that I almost wished I hadn't started because of the flies. I had forgotten about them but yesterday was warm enough that all of a sudden there were hundreds of them!
he.gif
I put up one of the bag traps last year - it helped. I put up another yesterday that is not disposable, and will probably put up one of the bag ones tomorrow.

My deep litter doesn't seem to be composting - started with pine shavings and then added straw. I added some garden soil when nothing was happening in November. Still nothing in terms of composting. I may empty the whole coop out in the next week if the flies become a problem inside the coop.

This is all a learning thing! In the meantime, I have to deal with the pleasure of having an additional 8 chicks and 36 eggs in the incubator!
barnie.gif
Whose idea was this??? Mine!

Thing is they make me happy!
wee.gif

Isn't it amazing the difference chickens bring to one's sense of happiness? I call them my Ladies. They don't know they are living in Disneyland, but when I started prepping my fenced in vegetable garden, I opened the gates and let them come in to eat all the bugs that had been tilled up. That, for them was truly Disneyland and it delighted me to see them anticipate those gates being opened. Now, however, that planting has begun, they will have to wait until fall to have such fun again. I don't think I could handle more than the 11 I have now. I can only imagine having 30 something in an incubator! That is ambitious, indeed. Take joy in it!

@ktdeluxe I also never had flies until I got chicks.
hugs.gif

There were times that I almost wished I hadn't started because of the flies. I had forgotten about them but yesterday was warm enough that all of a sudden there were hundreds of them!
he.gif
I put up one of the bag traps last year - it helped. I put up another yesterday that is not disposable, and will probably put up one of the bag ones tomorrow.

My deep litter doesn't seem to be composting - started with pine shavings and then added straw. I added some garden soil when nothing was happening in November. Still nothing in terms of composting. I may empty the whole coop out in the next week if the flies become a problem inside the coop.

This is all a learning thing! In the meantime, I have to deal with the pleasure of having an additional 8 chicks and 36 eggs in the incubator!
barnie.gif
Whose idea was this??? Mine!

Thing is they make me happy!
wee.gif
I would add some leaves and/or wood chips...

Sounds like you have all "Browns" add some grass clippings or landscaping debris so you have some "greens".

Is this in the coop or run? I've never done deep litter in the coop, too dry. Our run, even though it's covered gets enough moisture to turn everything to compost .

I would add some leaves and/or wood chips...
I haven't added those because it is so dry in there. I would have to add wet leaves for it to change.
Sounds like you have all "Browns" add some grass clippings or landscaping debris so you have some "greens".

Is this in the coop or run? I've never done deep litter in the coop, too dry. Our run, even though it's covered gets enough moisture to turn everything to compost .
This is in the coop. I never thought about color - adding grass would add moisture. My run seems to be fine. It has straw in it, but even that is not composting yet. Perhaps it is too deep! But it isn't full of dry clumps of chicken poop. Do you add grass clippings to your run?
idunno.gif

I just started the deep litter method in my run using pine shavings and turning/raking them around every day or so. I've recently noticed a huge fly problem. I also have noticed alot of food spillage in the run. The feeder is on the ground right now and I plan on hanging it. Is hundreds of flies a normal thing? I haven't yet added diatomaceous earth so maybe that will help?

Any suggestions?

I'd start by adding more litter. It's not really "deep litter" unless it's at least six inches deep. It needs a certain volume before it acts like its own little micro-climate, where the microbes in the litter dominate the scene and don't leave much left over for flies and such. This also takes some time to develop.

Here are some specific suggestions:

* If the litter gets soggy, rake it into a heap, where it'll heat and compost, which dries it back out in a couple of days.

* When in doubt, use a LOT more litter.

* Hydrated lime will deodorize the litter and keep the flies away. It also acts as chicken repellent, so on the floor of the chicken coop, stir it in. Elsewhere, you can just sprinkle it over the top. (I've never found much use for diatomaceous earth.)

* Stirring the litter is really about dealing with any crust that forms on top and any soggy spots. There's no need to turn it like a compost heap.

* If you throw some scratch grain on the floor, the chickens will stir it for you.

* I have a "deep litter FAQ" at http://www.plamondon.com/faq_deep_litter.html which also reproduces the original deep-litter experiment station bulletin.

Robert

Hydrated lime will deodorize the litter and keep the flies away. It also acts as chicken repellent, so on the floor of the chicken coop, stir it in. Elsewhere, you can just sprinkle it over the top. (I've never found much use for diatomaceous earth.)

@RobertPlamondon If hydrated lime is a chicken repellant won't it keep the chickens off the floor of the coop?
hu.gif

And if the litter is extremely dry, should moisture be added in the form of water? I pulled out some of the litter yesterday - bone dry. I am still deciding if I should switch to sand over the summer, or just use a dropping board - either way, that chicken poop will end up in my compost heap.

I haven't added those because it is so dry in there. I would have to add wet leaves for it to change.
TThis is in the coop.I never thought about color - adding grass would add moisture.  My run seems to be fine. It has straw in it, but even that is not composting yet. Perhaps it is too deep! But it isn't full of dry clumps of chicken poop.  Do you add grass clippings to your run? :idunno

In the coop we use pine shavings only. We also have a poop board filled with PDZ which collects most of the droppings.

I read on this forum about vanilla repels flies. It was suggested to use those vanilla scented little trees (for cars). I hang those in the coop during the warm-weather months and I don't have flies. Rather that is the reason, who knows!

Back
Top Bottom