Help for duckling

Dsroberts80

Hatching
May 28, 2022
What I observed. Duckling can not stand. When I help her, her legs cross over each other and she steps on her own feet. Been like this since birth. She has strength in them bc when I hold her she can push up. It's just she has zero balance and her legs keep crossing. She mostly lays on her side and pushes herself in circles. Falls on to her side when I try to let her on her own. Not sure what's going on here.

What is the feed and drink? How old, exactly? Breed?
She is approximately 9 weeks old pecking, she's on TSC duckling starter. I have been giving her poly v sol in her water. This duckling was given to me last night. All this info on feed age and breed is from owner.

:welcome
Have you tried putting in duckling in some nice warm water just enough for her to stand and float? just to see if the water gives her enough support to stand and move around.
Never leave unsupervised when in water.
Also I'd get some liquid B complex from your local feed store or TSC, start giving her 1 ml daily over a tasty treat. This B complex has really helped many ducklings with leg issues. This little one may have something that can't be corrected but you never know till you try. This Liquid B complex will say injectable but we use it orally.
A video or some pictures of the duckling's feet and legs if you can. To do a video you'll have to upload onto youtube or Vimeo or another platform then copy and paste it here.

Last edited:
OK, I'll take a video qnd upload it here. Thank you so much for your advice thus far. Truly appreciate it. I'll make a TSC run this morning. I was thinking niacin or lysine deficiency I'm just afraid it's too late to correct it. She's pretty lame. I bought a duckling wheelchair but she can't move it yet. Lots of work to be done I'm sure.

Good luck with this duckling -- great that you took her on and even thought to get a duckling wheelchair. Hopefully you will be able to help her strengthen her legs with the Durvet liquid B complex from Tractos Supply. By the way, it says it is given by injection on the bottle but we only use it orally in ducks. AND Ducky physiotherapy -- letting her swim and paddle in a kiddie pool. It will be best if you help her in and out of the pool until her legs are stronger -- she doesn't want to get an injury from struggling by herself

Back
Top Bottom