Help for new chicken owners and laying behaviors

SirSquirrelNutz

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2023
SE WI - near LK MICH
Hello! I have posted a few times about build questions, but now it is about chickens, what is normal or not. Oh newbies ....We have four Buff Orpingtons that are~ 28 wks old. We think one is ready to lay for the first time; comb look mature, squatting for my wife a few times and now is in the nesting box....none has spend anytime before. My wife is home today and worried something might be wrong. The chicken, Nugget, has been in and out nest box most of the morning, restless, maybe not too stressed but my wife is wondering if their is anything she should check? Any advice?
Thanks!

New hens can do crazy things. At least yours appear to going to be laying in a nest. Sometimes they lay them just anywhere their first time or two.

This is also molting season and yours are of the age that could be getting molty, but if she/they aren't losing any feathers, then that's not it, but molting hens can also act pretty weird too.

I would be sure to have a dish of oyster shell separate from their feed since they will eat it if they need more calcium. I always do this and mine are several years old.

Thanks for replying. Probably not molty, not losing feathers. I will pass you comments on to my wife. Nervous newbie chicken owners, so appreciate any insight.
I just realized we're practically neighbors. :frow (Probably actually 100 miles apart). But, if you have any questions about winterizing, or anything, etc, you can search and find answers here, or post your question like you did, or you can message me. ☺️

your pullet's behavior is totally normal. When they first start laying they are a nervous wreck, pacing back and forth, clucking, getting in and out the nests. This can last a long time. This behavior changes after they have been laying for a while. I have some 28 week old pullets that have been laying for a month and some of them still pace around getting in all the nests until they find they "right" one

Back
Top Bottom