Help for Novice!!!!

coltsrox

Songster
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Maggie Valley, NC
I am goin to a Fair meeting tomorrow and I was wondering is there anything i should ask them? or should i know? this is my first one any help would be appreciated..can i feed my own chickens?etc.

I just got back from a show a few days ago...and from what I learned you must stay away from the judge while he is judging and yes, you can feed or handle your chicken and yours only. I have also heard to put cardboard up between cages so it's less likely for your bird to catch anything if the neighboring bird happens to be a carrier of something. I seen some had cardboard and asked why and that's what I was told. Chicken shows are great fun
big_smile.png
good luck!

The card board between the cages is to keep the males from fighting each other. Card board is not going to stop a disease from spreading. In 25 years I have never got anything from another bird except maybe a bug or two.

You are responsible for taking care of your birds, feed and water.
Just relax at the show and have a good time, don't worry about being new or making a mistake. Most poultry exhibitors are willing to help.
I will say this though, if you are going to ask questions wait until after coop in (9 am). Let people get there birds ready for the judging, then talk to them.

Bob

Howdy I just atteded the meeting and i was wondering they said in the showmanship ring you handle the chickens head on, is this true?and why? i always get my animals head on but i get them out of the hutch backwards..this is confusuing?help!

Back
Top Bottom