HELP!!!! FOREIGN ROOO!!!! NEED HELP!!!

6RandomBrownLayers

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
Not sure if right section but this is an emergency for me. So I recently found out one of my hens disappeared 8(. After coming home from school today I found a big white roo in my yard. I don't know what to do!!!! Did he take my hen somewhere? I have neighbors that have chickens, but none too close. Not for at least half a mile. I have absolutely no clue what to do!!! He is attacking my hens but leaves my pullets alone, I think he might be trying to mate with them. He ripped some feathers from one and tried to do it twice to 2 different hens while I have been home (15 min max) they were around the house so they haven't been close very long. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Hello! He could be a stray from the neighbor, or somebody could have dumped him off. Lots of people have unwanted roosters, and some people are just rotten--dumping them off somewhere.

From what you're telling me, he is trying to establish his dominance and also mate with your mature hens. Grabbing hens and pulling their feathers is how they get them to sit still so he can mate.

Can you offer your hens a treat and get them locked into the coop and run? You may not be able to catch that rooster until dark. Just keep an eye on him, before dark, so you know where he goes, then you can catch him easy once it's dark. You could even let him go into the coop with the hens, and then walk into the dark coop and simply grab him.

Unfortunately, you have to decide what to do with him.....until then, you can cage him.

I got my hens into the coop, they're safe. I was wondering if he was wondering over to get new hens and abducted mine? I thought it was a predator but I think she was taken during the day and I didn't find any predators. My hens free range all day but go into the coop at night. I don't want him in the coop with my hens, maybe the pullets. I think I'm gonna try to give him back to the neighbors. He isn't very aggressive, he didn't attack me or even run at me. He flapped his wings but didn't fly. I don't know if he tried to make himself look bigger or was just stretching. He is much bigger than my hens though...

yep, get your hens inside then grab your trusty shot gun! I thought it sounded like some coward dumping off an unwanted rooster! You never know where he comes from and what disease or pests he may be bringing along. Get rid of him!

Back
Top Bottom