Help!!! Found newborn rabbit. What do I do???

DON"T USE MILK REPLACER!!!!!!!! I know a woman that uses straight sweet and condensed millk and nothing else she has yet to lose a single one.

Quote:
Explain further..please.
smile.png

So she mixes regular cows milk WITH sweet condensed milk??

Quote:
Explain further..please.
smile.png

So she mixes regular cows milk WITH sweet condensed milk??

No she pores it from the sweet condensed into the bottle or eye dropper, feeds the baby and than helps it go potty.

UPDATE!!
We rebuilt the nest and covered the area so that the dog can't dig at them, but the mother can still get in.
We put them out there yesterday evening. Everything I read leads me to believe that the mother will go back and care for them.
I peaked in there this morning and all 3 were in the nest, but the twigs that I put over the hole are still there. I read that it is possible for a mother to feed them without disturbing the twigs so I'm still hoping for the best. I need DH to help me move the sawhorse and wood to actually get in and check their bellies for fullness. I will check on them in a bit to be sure that they appear full and content. If so, I'm leaving them alone. They should be safe now.

I still can't figure out how 1 baby was 200 feet from the nest and another was abandoned at the nest still covered with placenta. I'm hoping that nothing did get to them before my little dog found them. I'm pretty certain that she DID NOT carry the one away. She is only 8lbs and wasn't trying to hurt them. I think that after she found the one, she went to find me more. We have baby rabbits in our yard all the time. I only hope that she does not continue to go find them for me. Any time she goes near the area, we are telling her "no" and she walks away.

I will update again if anything changes, but at this time we are counting on letting nature take care of nature. The only reason I even thought about helping the first 1 was because there was no nest in the area and I couldn't just leave it out in the yard by itself. The only reason I picked up the other 2 was because the dog dug out their nest and we needed time to figure out how to keep the dog(s) away from them. That problem is solved. Now let's just hope that the mother did go back and care for them.

So what happened with the baby bunnies you found after you put them back? my little dog found a newborn bunny this morning by my front bush in the yard. It was all by itself just wiggling around. I looked all over for a nest and could not find one. I ended up going and getting milk for the bunny. It ate a little bit, but I couldn't get it to go potty. about two hours later I am outside looking deeper under the bush and found a hole covered with grass and droppings from the bush. There was the nest, deeper under the ground and had 6 other babies in there. The one I found was not even close to that area. I can't figure out how or why it would have been out of the nest and so far away. I can''t imagine that it crawled all the way out and over to the other side of the bush. I ended up putting the baby back in the nest with the other 6 babies. I covered the nest like it was before and will wait to see if momma bunny comes back tonight. I am going to feel horrible if she doesn't take care of the bunnies now that I have disturbed them.

Back
Top Bottom