HELP FOX PROBLEM *cries*

Shanadoodle

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
Hi I need some advise I think we have had a fox in our garden trying to get to our chicks, and I'm not sure what to do, does anyone know any good deterrences for foxes to stay away from your garden? I would be soo so greatful if you could help me out

I hbrought I'd give you some background on our pets, birds and the hungry foxes
1f61e.png
to try and why this is such a worry for use and our new little additions.
Our garden backs onto allotments but we also have a large wildlife park to the side of use, and for years we have had a lot of foxes around us, we have been sitting at the dinning table before to see out of the back window a large fox walk past the garden with a chicken in it's mouth in daylight! We have always tried our hardest to keep our animals safe Nd in the most part we have been successful, we use to breed rabbits, so naturally we had quite a few, we have also has guineapigs and which have all died of old age, but I do think along with good hutches and runs our two dogs at the time the foxes stayed away, however one of our dogs (red) sadly died of old age leaving only our other dog (jake) by this point our rabbits had died of old age and we only had one remaining, that this time we had a Muscovy duck to (Ellis) and even know we would hear a ruckus at the bottom of the garden or the back door from time to time a foxes tended to stay away, there was a point I went to see what the old man was barking at and no joke I'm guessing a very very hungry fox was stood metres away from me at the other side of the fence. Eventually jake also passed Way of old age, and sortly after I rescued two ducklings mallards after a zoo had found them with no mother to be seen, one milky couldn't swim well and could not fly at all but she was happy, and bandit who was perfectly fine, they lived with Ellis and our bunny all in a very large hutch and run (and yes believe it or not the Muscovy got on well with them all) had had them for a log time then sadly a fox found it's way on, which killed and left bandit and our bunny, and left nothing but some guts of Ellis, and we thought milky to, BUT OH NO! We found her stuck in a hole that the rabbit had dug under a thick tree trunk! Milky was okay she stayed inside the house for about 2weeks, we sorted out a whole new run and coop, we also got a new puppy and this seemed to work as a deterrence for a while and she was fine for a long time, we were even looking into getting her a buddy! Then combined with a terrible weather And a smart fox we unfortunately lost her, I chose after this that that I did want anymore animals or birds of any sort I the garden again.

It's 1 and a half year later we have chose we want birds again as we long our animals and birds and it doesn't feel the same without them, but also I seem to get sick from brought chicken eggs but our ducks eggs use to not effect me at all, but more because we love birds, so we thought if we were going to do this we will ensure we are not just providing mr fox a bite to eat, so after buying two coops for a small fortune and our dog being a lot bigger we hoped the fox would be less attracted to the garden, we have 3 bantam chicks, captain, storm and Ziggy, they were living in the house for two weeks and have just been moved out to their coop and run, they have been out there two nights now, however, last night I heard a huge thud and went rushing out with a torch and I thought I had spooked the chicks as they have a window in their coop, but when I went back in my dog glen had been standing his ground and ran from the garden to the front door as if whatever it was had gone over our flat roof. I went out today to let the chickadees out and their are claw and bite marks all around the coop! And the nest box catch has been nudged so that it had nearly undone! The marks were Especially where the little window is! The chicks are okay, chirping, eating and drinking and running around like loons
1f60a.png

But I am now so worried that it's sparked an interest in the garden and they are not going to give up! So please if you know any good advice on who to stop the foxes and make them safer I would be very grateful! And I'm putting off getting my indain runners I. The other coop until I figure this out. Losing that way is so heartbreaking.

So this is so long but thank you so much for reading and I'm sorry if this is else were I'm new here.

Thanks again.

I fear once a predator has successfully found a meal at your place it will always be in the habit of coming back for that meal.

All you can do is secure your coop. Read the thread on designing a coop to prevent predation and make yours extra strong, using materials that no fox could ever claw through, dig under, or climb into.

Yeah that's what I've feared, I've heard if you go and walk about your coop at like irregular times of day and night it can put them off a bit, not sure if it's true :/

Thank you for the advice I most defiantly will, the wire on the coop is heaven duty, we have it wired floor that comes out a foot from the edge to try and Prevent them digging, and to wood is pretty thick, and it all has a covered wooden roof , but defiantly need to get some better lock though I think! Thank you!

While walking around your coop you might consider leaving some human scent as an off putting marker? If you're male, just urinate at the corners? If you're a female just sprinkle some from a bottle? Can't hurt and might give fox something to think about.

I've put some of my dogs hair from a brush and some of the family's from hair brushes (sounds gross) in tights and put them all across the back fence to try and spread the scent a little, but I'm going to ask my brother to do so when he gets home as I do not have a bottle at hand :')

Back
Top Bottom