HELP ..free range chickens

Myst4

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
N.S., Canada
I haven't been on here for a while. Here is my problem. My chickens are free range, and most of them have stopped laying their eggs in the coop and now lay them thoughout the field and even across the road I think. I have searched for the nests and when I find a couple I have to destroy the eggs because I don't know which ones are recent and safe to eat. Our field has an abundance of tall weeds and most of them have thorns.Difficult to walk through. My question is. How on Earth do I get the hens to lay their eggs in the coop again. I have lost out on so many eggs. I have though of keeping them shut in for a few days, but can't do that, since I have young hens and lots of young roosters that need to go outside. HELP

Last edited:
guess nobody has any advice.....
barnie.gif
. Thanks anyway.

maybe you could build a separate small coop for the broodies? Then you can close them in until they stay there. OR make a fence around the yard so they can't get into the thorns and stuff.
Be patient! Hopefully people will answer you with more info and advise, but they will!
tongue.png
Yes, i was and still is like that too! After i while i get tired of waiting for an answer.
roll.png
But hopefully someone else will give better advise for you and your hens!
big_smile.png

Good luck!
fl.gif

Naughty chickens!

Sorry, Myst4, but you already know the answer to this one. You need to keep them fenced in with their nestboxes for a while, until they they get back into the habit of laying where they are supposed to.

The real question is, how can you separate them so that the roosters and the younguns can freerange while the layers are locked up?

Anybody have any good ideas?

thanks for the advice...the problem is the young roosters and pullets. Also, if I do manage to keep the hens cooped up..it also keeps the other chickens from their feed and water. eeeekkkkk

edited for this reason to add; I could fence them in, but some of them fly over the fencing and also...we have 3.7 acres of land to fence in.
hmm.png

Last edited:
The only thing i could say is
A) Lock them up in a pen with there nest box tell afternoon i alway put a few fake eggs in my nestboxs try to get creative with placement of your nestbox and material used, (this worked with my bantys) make a new add on for the young ones so that they can go out and free range
B ) Build a fence around your property clip there wing so they dont fly over (If you have to) and make sure there is no good spot to lay
Thats the only thing i could think of probably not what your wanting to hear

Quote:
Actually I am willing to read any ideas. Something has to be done and soon. I was getting something like up to 15 eggs a day, before I let them be free range. Then a terminally ill neighbour of ours gave us his 7 hens. They did lay eggs in the nests for the first day or 2. Now I have gotten low as 1 in a day and the most maybe 5 and five is extremely rare. The young roosters, since I can't find anyone who wants them will be taken out of the coop and put in pens in the barn until brought to the butcher( I hate the thought of it, especially since some are gorgeous and all are so friendly). Anyway....guess I will have to figure out something. Thank you for your ideas. I think making a large pen for them outside,attached to the coop will have to be an option.

Back
Top Bottom