Help - freezing water!

staceyl

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
It so rarely gets below freezing around here so I thought I wasn't going to have to worry about this, but I just noticed that the chicken's water was frozen. I have one of those hanging waterers that only releases enough water to fill the little area around it (hopefully that makes sense). The bulk of the water isn't freezing, but the shallow pool they actually drink out of is and the area around the hole is so no more is coming out.
I just filled it with the hottest water that came out of my tap, so I probably have a few hours before it freezes again, but I'm worried about them tomorrow while I'm at work. Is there a quick, cheap solution to freezing water that doesn't involve running power out there?

Thanks!
Stacey

If you can't run power out to the coop - the next best thing would be a bigger container of water, it will take longer to freeze.

I was wondering if maybe those handwarmer jobbers couldn't be used in a pinch... perhaps if sealed into a ziplock?

If it was inside the waterer then they couldn't get it could they?

Just an errant thought... but they even sell those in the Dollar General around here...

In case no one knows what the devil I'm going on about...

hand%20warmers%20product.jpg

should I try an actual container in their coop? The problem is the small ring that has water they can get to is such a small volume it freezes fast - the bulk of the water isn't freezing. So that would give more volume + be in the coop with them and be warmer. (My current waterer is hanging under the coop). Will they just knock over a dish? Maybe I should put it in the one next box that no one ever uses?
Stacey

Ah, good idea Pinapple mama. I really think this will only be a problem for a few days a year. Soon as the rain starts again, ever thing will thaw. And in the PNW, that is always only a matter of days away. LOL.
Stacey

That's us as well. It's rare for it to get into the 20's really, so running electricity to only use for a couple nights a year....

This popped into my head, but I didn't know if it was at all feasible. They last 7-10 hours depending on brand, and they aren't HOT... but warm... so for humans to feel it as warm probably about 100 degrees?? But that might be all the help needed if it isn't too cold, so I donno.

A larger, deeper container are probably your best option. You may still have to break up the surface each morning that it gets down that cold, but it should be slower to freeze. My indoor water doesn't freeze, but my outdoor waterer does because it's too shallow. I'm gonna have to look at other options for outside myself.

Good idea on the handwarmers, you can buy re-usable ones like that as well, they contain a salt water solution I think and a metal disk, you boil them to "re-set" - I'm not sure how well they work.

I use a heated water container, because we'll be below freezing for months!
th.gif
I have big black rubber tubs outside as well mostly for the ducks to mess in, I have to dump them out twice a day when we get a good freezing going..(like now!
th.gif
)

I also have a 100 something gallon tank for the horse and goat, with a de-icer - the chickens and ducks also go to that to get water if they're nearby!

Back
Top Bottom