Help from Chicken Veterans...No Eggs

wickett

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
I have 5 chickens that are about 2 years old. They used to be great layers. But this winter I didn't give them the allowed light for egg production. I didn't give them any additional light other than natural sunlight. I thought the egg production would pick up after the daylight became longer but so far nothing. Right now they are only getting about 13 hours of natural sunlight. My question being will they ever start laying again after the natual sunlight becomes longer? Or have I ruined my chickens forever?

If light is the only problem, they will start laying when they are ready. However, if it was a rough winter, they may need additional protein and calcium. The other possibility is that they are already laying again--and eating their eggs, often because of the aforementioned need for additional protein and calcium.

HTH

Rusty

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't think they are eating their eggs because I do get an egg maybe one or if lucky two a week. If they need the extra protein and calcium how do you buy that?

You have not ruined your layers. They will start up again. The production will probably be down some as egg production normally decreases wit a hen's age, but 2 year olds should do OK.

Are they in a molt? They should have done that earlier, but if they are molting, they don't lay.

Back
Top Bottom