Help getting my chickens into the coop

jamkatt

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
I am having issues with my young flock. I have gradually been introducing the flock to the coop/run over the last few weeks. I now believe they are ready to stay in the coop/run full time. My problem is that they will not go into the coop at night. Any suggestions or ideas?

Why do they need to go in the coop ? If their happy not going in so be it.

old.gif

Pick em up, lock them in for a few days... If the run is predator proof, then leave em out. Put a solar lite in the coop. I have several birds that do not go to the coop till sunset... Close to 9:30 p.m. I figure as long as they are in the run, I don't care...

Just put them in yourself for a couple days. They will quickly get the idea yhat they should sleep in the coop and will start putting themselves away.
Keep in mind that they will stay out pretty late now that summer is here. Some nights it's after 9 before the last bird goes in.

I had the same problem with my new chickens. I would take them out of their box, carry them in a cat carrier to the run/outside coop, and then let them out all day. I would put them back inside their box in the garden shed at night when the nights were still cool. When they got old enough to stay out in the coop at night, I kept them in their for a couple of days thinking they would get the hang of it when I let them out. The next night after I let them out, they all waited at the fence for me to put them in the cat carrier and take them away! So for a few nights I had to pick them up one by one and put them in the coop. It took about three nights until they realized that they should go into the coop themselves (even though they hung out there off and on all day!). Now they have it figured out and they go in there like clockwork every night!! It just took a little extra time until they figured out the new routine! Hope that helps!

My chicks must be geniuses or something! The first night out in the coop I had to put them in myself. That was similar to 'whack a mole" but more like 'catch a chick.' They've been putting themselves to bed ever since.

I bought a cheap ($2.99) solar light from Home Despot and wired that to a window in the coop so the chicks would have something to aim for. (Remember to remove the stake part. It pulls right off.)

Any time I need to get them to a certain location I shake the mealworm tin and say, "chickchickchickchick." They are motivated pullets when I get those mealworms out!

Do you have a special treat you give them? If so, put that in the coop at dusk.

If your run is secure - really secure don't worry about where they spend the night.

Back
Top Bottom