Help Getting Welsummer Chicks in Coop

rfunger

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Front Royal, VA
I'm also having problems getting my 5 1/2 week Welsummer chicks to go into the coop at night. During the day they stay in the chicken run but at sundown every night I find them huddled in the corner of the run peeping furiously. It seems like they're waiting for me to put them in the coop because they stand still and don't even try to get away when I pick them up to put them in. They've never been out of the run. How can I get them to go into the coop on their own accord?

Quote:
I kept my chickens in the coop for at least a week before letting them out to play in the run. You might start there. No outside play time until they begin to associate the coop as the place to go when it gets dark outside. You could try a night light in the coop as well, some people find that works.

I thought of that but with the temps here in Virginia averaging 100 degrees each day it would be a health hazard I think. If I enter the run at other times they often will fly into the coop so I sort of think they already associate it with safety. Just need to get em to go on their own - wonder if I'm expecting too much for 5 1/2 week chicks?

I'm having the same problem with my 7 week old chicks! I kept them in the coop for 5 days, but they still won't go in at night! Many people suggested treats in the coop or a trail of treats leading into the coop. I don't think chicks like ramps!! Also, a "nightlight" because chickens can't see well in the dark and are afraid to go into dark spaces. Good Luck! Let me know if you find something else that works!

Eventually they will figure it out. Just keep going out there nightly and putting them away. I have found it helps (if your birds are treat friendly) to go out a bit before you normally would, and put treats in the coop, so they go in to get them.

Otherwise, they will eventually figure it out. It just takes time.....Every time I move chickens from one pen to another, I have to restart the whole "go into the coop at night" process. When they are young, they just take longer to figure it out
smile.png

I agree, it just takes time and patients. They will get it eventually. Just be careful about the huddling in the corner, if its up against wire a coon could reach in and get them. Until they "get it" I would do as NellaBean and put them up by hand at night.

Good luck!!!

Give them a night night 25 watt or whatever you have just a few nights and they will start to go in on there own. They have very poor vision at night and dusk , mine would all huddle up in a pile untill i put a light in. i used the night light for about a week It works. If its lighter inside then outside they will go in .

Quote:
I'm really pleased my little five, six? weekers are putting themselves to bed now. Their coop is raised so there is a ladder in the run leading upstairs to the coop, with close rungs, and it's quite a bit of distance for babies. The EEs figured it out first, and the Jersey Giant and bantam cochin got it the next day. (The latter are still slower to go in than the former.)

I had been cornering and catching them individually and lifting them to put them through the pop door, then placing my arm across the opening because the first one would want to come back out to be with the other three. By the time the third one was inside, they'd be okay, but the fourth one still outside would be frantic.

But now they hop up that ladder and go inside all by themselves!
ya.gif
No roosting yet; they pile together in a depression they make in the deep pine shavings. Again, they'll figure that out on their own time schedule.

My chickens are scared of the dark. Even with just a 4 watt bulb in my nighlight they are scared. So I have to use a 25 watt bulb before they will settle down and stop freaking out. Maybe getting them in before it starts getting dark or having a 25 watt night light will help.

Back
Top Bottom