Help Gosling not looking good!

New Dreamz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
My little baby gosling is not looking good. It was hatched a week and a day ago. She seems to be dizzy and somewhat lathargic. They are eating the purina flock raise and fresh cut up grass. Any suggestions? This is my first baby Ive hatched. I really would hate to loose it.

82574_100media_imag2302.jpg

she just stands there kinda swaying and looses her balance

82574_249278_1768386253721_1361157851_1445478_7275679_n.jpg

She is the one in the back. This was a couple days ago, we took a field trip outside for about 20 min. It was too hot!

Well, the standard emergency response -- gentle heat, about 90 to 95 degrees, fluids with electrolytes, a couple of drops of vitamins, and, IMHO, the most important thing, a dose of a broad spectrum antibiotic like duramycin.

Poor thing. I hope it helps. Good luck. Let us know.

she fell over on her back and couldnt get back over, i flipped her over and she just seems like she has very little strength. cant get her to drink anything. she has a heat lamp over her brooder, but she keeps going to the shaded part.

Well, if its TOO warm, that's not good either. Maybe dehydrated? Or just too warm?

Do you have any small syringes (without the needle!)? -- those can help a lot to get some fluids into them. Or perhaps an small eyedropper. In an emergency, I've even used a small dropper bottle from Visine, rinsed out well, of course.

i have plenty of sterile syringes without needles, but not sure of anything i have on hand to give to it as far as vitamins or antibiotic

Well, at this point, even some basic electrolyte solution would be good -- you can mix about a teaspoon of sugar and pinch of salt into a pint of warm water. Or, if you have any Gatorade or similar (NOT diet) that would work, too.

If you are close to someplace you can get some duramycin or similar, I'd send someone for it if possible.

You can usually get it at feed stores, pet stores. A lot of general merchandise stores like Wal-mart will have something in the pet department, either in the bird or fish section. Or, scope out your medicine cabinet and see if there are any leftovers in there, something like amoxicillin or penicillin.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, overall that's probably an OK temp under normal conditions. Hard to say with a sick bird, because we don't know the cause. If she's overheated or dehydrated, she might want it cooler, which is perhaps why she's moving away from the light. You might try turning it off just for a few minutes and see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom